Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Fire and Fury, currently. Talk about tragicomedy.

Listened to Brooklyn the last couple of weeks. The lady who read it has the most beautiful Irish accent and did a wonderful job.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Yppej
    This week I am back to all nonfiction:

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson, not usually my interest but I have been impressed with him when I've seen him on The Bill Maher Show
    The Art of Loading Brush by Wendell Berry
    Unsafe at Any Meal: What the FDA Does Not Want You to Know About the Foods You Eat
    Treating People Well: The Extraordinary Power of Civility at Work and in Life
    The Rise and Fall of Adam and Eve including how they were viewed in literature
    The Archipelago of Hope: Wisdom and Resilience from the Edge of Climate Change
    From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death
    Becoming Mrs. Burton: From Prison to Recovery to Leading the Fight for Incarcerated Women

Meet the Frugalwoods: achieving financial independence through simple living, by Elizabeth Willard Thames. Just hit the streets today.

Perfect book for this site, I reckon. They also have a blog site called Frugaalwoods: Financial independence and simple living. Heard about it from Cait Flanders book The Year of Less, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    Meet the Frugalwoods: achieving financial independence through simple living, by Elizabeth Willard Thames. Just hit the streets today.

Perfect book for this site, I reckon. They also have a blog site called Frugaalwoods: Financial independence and simple living. Heard about it from Cait Flanders book The Year of Less, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    I really like the Frugalwoods' blog and I pre-ordered the book with a gift card a few months ago. I guess I'll be getting it soon!

Yppej: That's quite an impressive list there!

Yppej
    I am on something of a medical kick and this week I got:

The Danger Within: America's Untested, Unregulated Medical Device Industry and One Man's Battle to Survive It
    Catching Breath: The Making and Unmaking of Tuberculosis
    The Line Becomes a River: Dispatches from the Border
    When Air Becomes Breath about a dying doctor
    Faithful by Alice Hoffman
    Camino Island by John Grisham

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer, by Michelle McNamara. I was so happy to find a writer who could match the late Thomas Thompson (Blood and Money) in writing richly-detailed, compelling true crime narratives...and then I found out the poor woman died in her sleep before she could even finish the book...Oh well.

I'm in the middle of "Give Work - Reversing poverty one job at a time" by Leila Janah.

A well-written non-fiction book on practical ideas and solutions for extreme poverty. Janah's non-profit, Samasource, basically teaches digital skills to some of the world's poorest - including some U.S. communities - and provides jobs for them earning a living wage doing basic work for the tech industry. She has a lot of thoughtful and positive ideas aimed at breaking the cycle of poverty at its source. Also dispels the myth of poor being poor because they are lazy or not wanting to work. I believe Janah is on TED talk too if anyone wants to hear her ideas directly.

Hi all:

I have been binge-reading Stephen King -- something I never thought I'd do.

I have been through The Stand, Under the Dome, Desperation, The Regulators, Cell, The Langoliers, and Salem's Lot. I may have forgotten one or two.

I am currently reading Pet Sematary -- though it is my least favorite so far.

I will not be reading Cujo. But next on my list is Roadwork or It.

I tend to think of myself as too high-minded to read Stephen King's books. But after digging into them, I am rethinking my elitism. He is not poetic, but his stories are compelling and written in a very accessible tone and language.

A friend of mine who I only recently found out loves Stephen King said: "Reading one of his books is like hanging out with a good friend who tells really great stories. King is not pretentious!"

I loved The Stand. Lately I have been reading a lot of non-fiction books about both the World WArs.

Thread Information