Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think we talked about this book here.

I am reading Richard Reeves’ The Dream Hoarders: How the American Upper Middle Class is leaving everyne else in the dust, why that is a problem, and What you can Do About it.

He speaks of “income inequality” as though that is a settled bad thing. This book doesnt even try to attack the 1%, it stakes out the next strata of society to attack as the “upper middle class as defined by income of $112,000 per household.”

I am only 25 page in and will skim the rest, if that. The chapter
    I am in now talks about how I (well, before I retired) create “opportunity hoarding” in things like reproduction and parenting. Ooooookkaaay, he is on to me, I purposely hid everyone’s birth control around here. Guilty!

Then he slips into typical East Coast value system talk where he opines about parents who pull strings to get their offspring into prestigious schools, ignoring that most of us in flyover country are perfectly fine with attending State U or Mediocre Private U. and we even achieve his upper quintile of income in doing so.

Where DO these thinktank people get these ideas. He works for The Brookings INstitute.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-1-18 at 10:56am.

Thread Information