Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Finished The Book of Joy while on vacation. I loved it! The intimacy and wonderful friendship between these two great men was refreshing to read.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Rereading (via audiobook) Anna Karenina. On hold at the library is "The Perfect Weapon: War, Sabotage, and Fear in the Cyber Age" by NYT reporter David Sanger.

Most recent book completed: "How to Be A Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live A Modern Life"
    by Massimo Pigliucci.
    Have been trying to get through Anna Karenina for many months now. I'll read and then put it down. I don't think I'm quite half way through yet. But I'll get there eventually. It's rather easy to put down and then catch up again.
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Anon.

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Today I borrowed:

Into the Water: A Novel
    Siege and Survival: The Odyssey of a Leningrader
    A History of Judaism
    The Latehomeconer: A Hmong Family Memoir
    An Odyssey: A Father, A Son, and an Epic

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am currently reading The Book of Joy with the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu with Douglas Abrams. It does not offend my atheist sensibilities, to my surprise.
    I had to reread that, as I read it as the Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Adams (a humorous atheist). That would be a book I would like to have seen.

Alsitair McCaul Smith is a light but enjoyable upbeat read when one needs a break from life.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I had to reread that, as I read it as the Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Adams (a humorous atheist). That would be a book I would like to have seen.
    I am a huge Doug Adams fan myself - yes, that would have been something!

"Paris, I love you but you're bringing me down" by Rosencrans Baldwin. His account of his life in Paris with his wife for 18 months with a Parisian ad agency. It's about 10 years old (he mentions the election of Obama) but it's a nice first-hand account of learning fluent French, life with his co-workers, the generally accepted level of bawdiness, drinking, and late night work-week partying. An American view of the Parisian culture includes lots of funny bits and poignant scenes as well.
    Enjoyable read, but I also thought if you're an introvert, or a tee-totaler, or a morning person, then Paris life would be very tough.

Erdrich Tracks
    Rough Beauty: Forty Seasons of Mountain Living
    Still Alive: A Holocaust Girlhood Remembered
    Defying Hitler
    bell hooks Bone Black
    I'm Judging You
    Sunrise in Spain: Finding the Good Life Hiking the Camino Real of Santiago

Art of the Wasted Day which so far seems to be about daydreaming.

Someone is Hiding Something, about the disappearance of Flight 370, written by Richard Belzer, generally known for conspiracy theories. I have another Flight 370 book in queue, to balance it out.