Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

I read a really good book on the subject several years ago, "My Lobotomy" by Howard Dully. As I recall, he was just a typical boy who acted up sometimes, and he was lobotomized to keep him in check. Horrific.
    I am currently reading "Before I Forget" by B. Smith, Dan Gasby & Michael Shnayerson. Apparently Smith and Gasby are celebrities, although I was not familiar with them. She developed Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease, and the story is told by the both of them from their different points of view(I assume Michael did the actual writing). Very good so far.
    I'm also reading The Drop by Dennis Lehane. That one is good too, but in a very different way. Sheer entertainment.

Yppej
    The Library Book by Susan Orlean about the burning of the LA Central Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The Library Book by Susan Orlean about the burning of the LA Central Library.
    I hate to think of knowledge going up in smoke--thinking about the library in Alexandria makes me want to cry.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I hadn't read it because I thought I already knew the gist of the story, but I'm glad my book club picked it because Atwood is a really wonderful writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I hadn't read it because I thought I already knew the gist of the story, but I'm glad my book club picked it because Atwood is a really wonderful writer.
    It took me years to get around to it too. I was glad I finally did; it's an engaging (and timely) tale.

That was such a good book.

I read The Handmaid’s Tale decades ago and it was good. The tv production is quite engrossing, too.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-10-18 at 10:19am.

I have it on my Kindle and started it but then stopped. Maybe I'll pick it up again. I'd like to read it before I see the movie, but I want to see the movie because Elizabeth Moss stars in it, and I'm now a fan of hers, ever since my 3 weeks of binge-watching all 7 seasons of Mad Men.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I just finished reading Heartland about growing up poor in Kansas and generational poverty even with working hard. The woman that escaped becomes a journalist and professor and writes a book about 4 generations of her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I just finished reading Heartland about growing up poor in Kansas and generational poverty even with working hard. The woman that escaped becomes a journalist and professor and writes a book about 4 generations of her family.
    I saw the author on Book TV on C-span. She's similar to the Hillbilly Elegy author in that she also discusses a macro-view of the poverty issue. It's very interesting to hear from these types of authors because of their first-hand experience combined with their academic knowledge.

Thread Information