Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

I'm reading Anthony Bourdain's Typhoid Mary, an American Historical. It's well-written, and OK so far.
    I have to rummage around in my Kindle and find something more compelling than the last bunch of snoozers...

The Power of Habit. good read.

American Sketches by Walter Isaacson. I'm just 80 pages in but it's a good read. I recommend

Calypso by David Sedaris. He cracks me up!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Calypso by David Sedaris. He cracks me up!
    Must be great! I placed a hold request. I'm #15 in line!

God Bless Texas. Some part of me remains eternally homesick and this book nails the Texas mystique.
    Squeezed. About how many of the upper middle class is having a hard time maintaining their financial status.

Pinkytoe, is it God Save Texas by Lawrence Wright? I'm looking for something good to read.
    My sister in law is from Texas and we used to have wonderful times when I would take the kids and go visit. I loved it. she gave me abumper sticker that said
    Don't Mess with Texas Women.
    I loved that bumper sticker!

Yep my mistake. It is God Save Texas (song by Marcia Ball) Lawrence Wright. Don't Mess with Texas was a popular anti-litter campaign slogan and Women got tacked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Must be great! I placed a hold request. I'm #15 in line!
    He cracks me up, too. I've lent his books to friends (and my DH) who have never heard him speak before, though, and they didn't find his books nearly as funny as I did. I wonder if it's because they can't hear his voice in their heads like I do.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    He cracks me up, too. I've lent his books to friends (and my DH) who have never heard him speak before, though, and they didn't find his books nearly as funny as I did. I wonder if it's because they can't hear his voice in their heads like I do.
    DH and I got to see him live during our 25th anniversary trip to the Berkshires. I've also heard the audio of "Holidays on Ice." I definitely found him funny before that though. There's a great chapter in Calypso about his relationship with his Fitbit, and I found the chapter "The Perfect Fit" especially funny.

Thread Information