Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Alan, I really recommend 11/22/63. That was a great read.
    It is on my list now too. Looking forward to it.

I finished The Perfect Nanny, which is apparently an international bestseller. It just didn't do it for me, and I was relieved when I finished it. I would think a lot of folks wouldn't have the stomach to get past the first paragraph: "The baby is dead...broken body surrounded by toys...throat was filled with blood," etc.

Just finished The Death of an Heir. It is about the attempted kidnapping of Adolph Coors III in 1960, third in the line of CEOs of the Coors Brewery started in 1879. In the kidnapping attempt he is shot dead and the killer flees to Canada. The book called it one of the FBI's greatest manhunts since the Lindbergh kidnapping. It is popular because of the local characters and a generally respected family, but much of the book is about the crime solving before DNA and the internet. For example they get some likely fingerprints, but they have to be manually matched with the ones on file. And a country sheriff who wears a western shirt, stetson, bolo tie and cowboy boots. It's a fast read and a fascinating story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Was it a fun read?
    It was certainly an interesting window into one man’s obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Recently finished “A Generation of Sociopaths” by Bruce Gibney. He pretty much blames baby boomers for everything wrong with the world from a social, financial and even a climatic perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It was certainly an interesting window into one man’s obsession.
    After such a strong recommendation I had to check it out. It's now on my library hold list.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    After such a strong recommendation I had to check it out. It's now on my library hold list.
    He basically argues that the boomers selfishly despoiled the financial system, allowed the infrastructure to fall into disrepair, looted government resources for their own benefit and neglected (perhaps fatally) the environment; all while hypocritically pretending they were acting otherwise. Personally, I think generalizing based on a set of birth years makes no more sense than doing so based on race, class or any other characteristic. But it made for an interesting read. Sort of like a bare knuckled version of Tyler Cowen.

Yppej
    Today I got The Death and Life of Great American Cities , having just finished and liked Jane Jacobs's biography, along with:

Coming to My Senses by Alice Waters
    The Wives of Los Alamos, a novel
    Junius and Albert's Adventures in the Confederacy
    Caitlyn Jenner's autobiography

Ruth Sepetys Between Shades of Gray and Salt to the Sea, both young adults stories. WW11 in Germany-Russian Invasions- Between Shades of Gray is about a young girl in the Siberian Prison Camps-1945. Salt to the Sea is about refugees being evacuated by the Germans from the Russian Invasion. The sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff-Her writing keeps you interested in the lives of the people. Her research is massive.

I read this fascinating book on communication called "If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look On My Face" by Alan Alda. Alda' latest project has been to share insight on the science of communication. He offers really useful tips on improving your communication skills.
    Life Lessons From The Pennsylvania Dutchhttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/804572

I read the when Breathe Becomes Air. Lovely book about a young man dying.

Thread Information