Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Yppej
    Complete National Parks of the United States
    Frugal Vegan, a recipe book
    Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie

Sometimes I Lie, by Alice Feeney. As with Gone Girl, I don't like the main characters, but the book is readable--that is, I don't find myself editing or rolling my eyes at the plot machinations--so I expect to finish it. A friend said she wanted to throw it across the room at the end of it.

I'm still thinking of a book to read next and this caught my eyes: " Sometimes I Lie, by Alice Feeney".

Quote Originally Posted by messengerhot View Post
    I'm still thinking of a book to read next and this caught my eyes: " Sometimes I Lie, by Alice Feeney".
    Do yourself a favor, and pass it up. It was basically a long revenge fantasy, and immediately forgettable--reminding me why I prefer non-fiction.

An Investigation into the Horrific Case of the Smiley Face Killers, by Stephen Young. I'm fascinated by this phenomenon, wherein dozens (hundreds?) of college-age men have left bars and ended up dead in bodies of water. During college, I lived in a city with a river running right through the center of it, and students of my acquaintance also drank and ended up dead--from traffic accidents, mainly. Never once did they find their way to the Willamette and stumble into it, to my recollection. I've read many accounts of these deaths, and none of them have explained them to my satisfaction--which makes the subject irresistible to me.

That sounds interesting Jane. I was reading up on some of this stuff since Boston is a hot spot. I got mildly obsessed for a bit after Zachary Marr disappeared. I found this blog to have some fascinating posts on the subject:
    https://cryptidantiquarian.wordpress...vanishing-men/

Thanks--I wasn't familiar with that one!

The blog Footprints at the River's Edge has accounts of many of these cases, too.

There have been a few survivors/escapees, but they rarely remember anything, due probably to liberal use of GHB and the aftereffects of trauma.

I seem to be on a run of reading nonfiction accounts of dysfunctional Mormon families - Sound of Gravel ( about a polygamous family) and An Education. The latter is especially well-written and pulls one in through the young author's astounding account of growing up in an isolated, prepper family and then stumbling into the real world during her adolescence.

Yppej
    Smoketown.

I am currently reading The Brothers K by David James Duncan. I am about 15% into it. So far it is a great book about baseball, America, family, religions, and the spirit of the 1960s.

Thread Information