Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Yppej
    Well UL that goes with your year of sports fandom.

I am reading Spark Joy by declutterer Marie Kondo and browsing some recipe books.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Well UL that goes with your year of sports fandom.

I am reading Spark Joy by declutterer Marie Kondo and browsing some recipe books.
    I know quite a few folks here who liked the Kondo book. She is an interesting, influential woman. I have a great deal of respect for her, despite disagreeing with a point or two.

What are you thinking of it so far?

I also read The Call of Cthulhu by H.P Lovecraft. It was a good read!

A "frolleague" (friend/colleague) suggested it, as he is a huge fan. I will probably read some more of Lovecraft's stories down the road a piece.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I know quite a few folks here who liked the Kondo book. She is an interesting, influential woman. I have a great deal of respect for her, despite disagreeing with a point or two.

What are you thinking of it so far?
    There is a lot of repetition with her previous book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up so this is more reinforcement for me. I like her storage ideas, but I don't pull out a whole category of things and go through it in one fell swoop. I do not anticipate I will ever have a completely tidy life, but I am getting better at not bringing new things into my home that don't spark joy.

There is a lot of repetition with her previous book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up so this is more reinforcement for me. I like her storage ideas, but I don't pull out a whole category of things and go through it in one fell swoop. I do not anticipate I will ever have a completely tidy life, but I am getting better at not bringing new things into my home that don't spark joy.
    Okay, I dig it.

There is a term being tossed around in the minimalist community now: "Comfortable minimalism." A married minimalist Canadian couple seemed to have coined the term.

I just started The End of Alzheimer's, by Dale E Bredesen. I'm listening to The Postmortal, about an immortality vaccine, which--though well-written, well-read, and imaginative, I'm kind of disinclined to finish. I'm really not much of a fiction fan, no matter how hard I try to be.

Yppej
    Bright-Sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America by Barbara Ehrenreich
    Long Haul: A Trucker's Tales of Life on the Road
    The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups

Grass Roots: The Rise and Fall and Rise of Marijuana in America - since I moved to a marijuana state
    The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath - personal memoir about becoming an alcoholic at a very young age - the whys

Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan. Her memoir of having a mental break in her 20s and the doctors trying to figure out the medical mystery of what was happening. It has a happy ending but is very instructive on how you/your friends and family have to be strong advocates for you to be able to navigate the medical world.
    She's a journalist by profession so it's well-written and the cutting edge medical info is very readable.

Bright-Sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America by Barbara Ehrenreich
    I like Barbara Ehrenreich. Did you see she's got a new book out, Natural Causes, about aging and death. I've always liked her research abilities and her frank style so I'm interested to read Natural Causes next.

Thread Information