Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

The Power of Habit.

You guys make great suggestions and I have been reading some of the recommendations. I just bought the last book recommended by Kay. I enrolled in the local library but they have very few books in kindle format. Lots of audiobooks but I hate being read too. Interesting that the kindle books cost as much as a used book even with the shipping. Someone told me there is a monthly fee and I can read all the books I want so will look into that.

Happiness is a Choice: Lessons from a year among the oldest old. Has some very good advice about the big picture of a long life.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    If you want your heart pulled out of your chest, twisted, wrung dry and then handed back to you, I strongly recommend "Every Note Played," a novel by Lisa Genova about ALS. It was a hard one to put down.

oh wait, this is a novel. But thats ok, sometimes fiction elucidates real life situations better than biography. It all depends on the writer.

I remember a novel I read decades ago about a married man in his 30’s, heterosexual for all intents and purposes, who had a compulsion to molest young boys of a specific age and look. The writer did a good job in describing this fictional guy, to help,p the reader understand something that seems i possible to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh wait, this is a novel. But thats ok, sometimes fiction elucidates real life situations better than biography. It all depends on the writer.

I remember a novel I read decades ago about a married man in his 30’s, heterosexual for all intents and purposes, who had a compulsion to molest young boys of a specific age and look. The writer did a good job in describing this fictional guy, to help,p the reader understand something that seems i possible to understand.
    It is a novel but I do think you would like it. Unfortunately, we do not currently live in a world where there are happy endings to ALS stories. I hope some day that will be possible.

I will be starting Missing 411 Sobering Coincidence (more on unexplained urban deaths), and She Has Her Mother's Laugh : the powers, perversions, and potential of heredity. I finished Timeline, and thought it wasn't bad.

The Story of Arthur Truluv, latest fiction work by Elizabeth Berg. Jacket synopsis: "...three people who've lost the ones they loved most, only to find second chances where they least expect them."
    I liked it for the same reasons I've liked her other books I've read: she has a wonderful turn of phrase and really knows how to tell a story. She gets below the surface of her characters by including all of their foibles. My only nit is that her characters are so much more articulate in their conversations than most everyone is in their real life speech, although I'm sure it's because she needs to move the story line along.
    Definitely recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    The Story of Arthur Truluv, latest fiction work by Elizabeth Berg. Jacket synopsis: "...three people who've lost the ones they loved most, only to find second chances where they least expect them."
    I liked it for the same reasons I've liked her other books I've read: she has a wonderful turn of phrase and really knows how to tell a story. She gets below the surface of her characters by including all of their foibles. My only nit is that her characters are so much more articulate in their conversations than most everyone is in their real life speech, although I'm sure it's because she needs to move the story line along.
    Definitely recommended.
    I've always liked her writing, too.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I enjoyed Arthur Truluv, but will issue a warning to Iris Lilies - you would hate this one! It's definitely on the sweet & sentimental end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I enjoyed Arthur Truluv, but will issue a warning to Iris Lilies - you would hate this one! It's definitely on the sweet & sentimental end of the spectrum.
    Will ignore that title!

Thread Information