Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Must be great! I placed a hold request. I'm #15 in line!
    David Sedaris's podcasts are hilarious, too. It's great to hear his own voice reading his stuff.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Amity and Prosperity about fracking
    Isabelle Allende's In the Midst of Winter
    Shaara's The Frozen Hours set in the Korean War
    Potok's The Gates of November
    The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion
    Sometimes Amazing Things Happen by a doctor who worked on a prison psych ward
    Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston

Oops, this should be in What Are You Reading? Can it be moved? I type so slowly now that I am on a tablet.
    Last edited by Alan; 7-14-18 at 12:35pm. Reason: Moved per member request.

Yppej
    Thank you Alan.

Yppej
    The menopause thread got me to check out Ourselves Growing
    Older
    for a reread? I also found Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

One Mind, by Larry Dossey, MD. About the collective consciousness, I think. I've barely started reading.

Cure - about how our illnesses are shaped by our minds. Lots of interesting research on placebo effect.
    Good Life Lab - about a youngish couple who leave their NYC jobs and move to New Mexico to lead "intentional" lives.

Finished Etched in Sand by Regina Calcaterra. Memoir of how she and her 4 siblings grew up with an alcoholic mentally unstable mother. (I don't say "raised by" because they really had to raise themselves.) They all managed to survive and are now functioning adults, although still carrying the scars.
    I'm always interested in true stories of those who manage to overcome their harsh circumstances, and in this case it was interesting to read how the foster system can both help and hurt in these situations.

Just finished Americanah last night. I loved it.

I am reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. So far it is a good book! I read one of his other books, No Longer At Ease. It was good too, though ultimately quite sad.

Recently read:
    Sylvan Street by Deborah Schupak. I enjoyed it. A group of close neighbors finds a million dollars - what to do?

Dead Air by Iain Banks - the protagonist a "shock jock", is a bit full of himself. Not Bank's best writing.

Enlightment Now by Stephen Pinker - not my cup of tea, and could have been much shorter.

Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton. This is a seriously good literary sci-fi novel. I thoroughly recommend it.

The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy. Re-reading one of my favorite books. He wrote so many fine novels.

The Flight of the Silvers and The Song of the Orphans - the second book in this series by Daniel Price just came out, and I'm having to read the first one again. I remember liking it a lot the first time around!

The Punishment She Deserves by Elizabeth George - if you like George, you know what to expect, and this is not a disappointment. Awfully wordy at 690 finely printed pages, but she is a master stylist, and her characters and gorgeous descriptions never fail.

Thread Information