Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Fun read from Amazon's "First Reads": The Ghostwriter by Alessandra Torre. Fun I'm only 25% done but I'm all in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Good fiction read!

By laws. I am reading mf Bylaws for multiple organizations for multiple purposes.

This probably belongs on the rant thread!

"The Real Thing - Lessons on Love and Life from a Wedding Reporter's Notebook" by Ellen McCarthy. From the title you would think this was about the wedding ceremony itself, but it's actually a wonderful little book about relationships: "the mystery, the science, and the secrets of how we find love and make it last."
    Like so many books of this type, it's interesting because it uses a mix of anecdotes, interviews, scientific research, and personal observations. It was written by a recently married woman in her 30s and published in 2015 so it's fresh and modern.

Small Fry-written by Steve Jobs "illegitimate" daughter. A bit like reading someone's diary. How people remember childhood events in such detail mystifies me but I could identify with the father abandonment issues.

I put Ben Sasse's new book Them on hold. He presents data that we are the loneliest we have ever been and that we find our community in political beliefs/tribes primarily through social media/forums. I am hoping he will consider a presidential run someday as he has a real handle on the human side of politics.

put Ben Sasse's new book Them on hold. He presents data that we are the loneliest we have ever been and that we find our community in political beliefs/tribes primarily through social media/forums.
    i suspect we always have, unions were actually very social organizations at one point, not just political organizations though plenty that but also a part of one's social life. But the online thing, yea that's new, and mostly useless politically as well as unrewarding socially.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I put Ben Sasse's new book Them on hold. He presents data that we are the loneliest we have ever been and that we find our community in political beliefs/tribes primarily through social media/forums. I am hoping he will consider a presidential run someday as he has a real handle on the human side of politics.
    I saw his interview on Face the Nation yesterday, and the book interests me as well. If you get it first, pinkytoe, let us know how it is.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"Lions: A Novel" by Bonnie Nadzam.
    This was one bleak book - more like a fable or parable than a novel.

From Goodreads: Bonnie Nadzam—author of the critically acclaimed, award-winning debut, Lamb—returns with this scorching, haunting portrait of a rural community in a "living ghost town" on the brink of collapse, and the individuals who are confronted with either chasing their dreams or—against all reason—staying where they are.

I just finished "The Cabin at the End of the World" by Paul Tremblay. It is a finely crafted horror novel of the darkest sort and was very hard to put down. I thought it was interesting that the author mentioned John Langan and thanked him for his weekly phone calls in the acknowledgments. I've only heard that name recently when Rogar mentioned reading "The Fisherman" by him. I'll have to get my hands on that one.

Thread Information