Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

Razz, I quickly read Factfulness and got enough of it to feel more cheerful of the state of the world. Thanks.

Reunited, by Pamela Slaton, on adoptees' search for birth parents.

Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence , which--though I'm barely into it--has already changed my mind about Michael Pollan. Instead of being the facile food snob I'd encountered in previous writings ("Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" always made my fists itch.), he comes across in this book as an earnest. curious, and open-minded explorer. Besides, he agrees with me about psilocybin.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence , which--though I'm barely into it--has already changed my mind about Michael Pollan. Instead of being the facile food snob I'd encountered in previous writings ("Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" always made my fists itch.), he comes across in this book as an earnest. curious, and open-minded explorer. Besides, he agrees with me about psilocybin.
    I heard a podcast on this - Terry Gross maybe? It sounded fascinating.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Have you read books that you feel will be made into a blockbuster movie? A friend loaned me "The Alice Network" by Kate Quinn which has some foundation in fact about the efforts of women who were spies in WW 1. I found it very well laid out and fascinating to read.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Razz, I quickly read Factfulness and got enough of it to feel more cheerful of the state of the world. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I wish more people would read this as the facts are public knowledge but not shared by the media. If media wants to sell ads, it must focus on what is not working if only in ever limiting circumstances.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Junior Member gazingmassachusetts's Avatar
    I just started Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett. Cool fantasy book with a nice twist, in that inaninmate objects can essentially be manipulated by magic. Follows a thief who gets in a lot of trouble but has to save the day

Welcome, Gazingmassachusetts! There aren't too many of us here from MA; I think you are the fourth. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Unfortunately, reading --and working the exercises in --"Done with the Crying," by Sheri McGregor, MA. It is definitely helping. I look forward to my next book which is hopefully totally escapist fiction.

BTW, I'd like to recommend a series of young adult fantasy sci-fi to anyone who likes this genre. The books, "The Joel Suzuki Series," are written by someone I know from my local autism support community, Brian Tashima. The gist is that the main characters are on the autism spectrum, and in an alternate world they enter, autism gives them magical powers. My husband has read the first two, and he liked them even though they're not really his genre-of-choice.

This is a link to the first book:
    https://www.amazon.com/Joel-Suzuki-O...=brian+tashima
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson. I may have to reread it 2-3 times to really comprehend it, so may not save that much time after all!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information