Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2018?

I am an unapologetic King fan. Pet Sematary was so dark. Wen I read it my Dad was dying of cancer and it had spread to his brain. So the book actually had a useful message for me at that point in time, that sometimes you have to just accept death, there are worse things than death . . .

I was a huge Stephen King fan right up until about Rose Madder when I lost interest, although I still believe The Stand was a brilliant piece of work. I still have the original 1978 hardcover as well as the 1990 updated version. In my opinion, the next best King work was with Peter Straub on The Talisman although it's follow up, Black House, was just so-so. I enjoyed The Gunslinger series as well although it took 20 years or so to finish that series and I was a bit annoyed that King placed himself as a character in the last bit of the story.

I have Under The Dome on my book server, maybe I'll give him another try.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Under the Dome was good, but 11/22/63 was my favorite of his more recent works.

The only character of King's I ever liked was Christine; he has a way of imbuing everything he touches with ugliness, if my memory serves me. I did like one of his short stories-The Mist?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I was a huge Stephen King fan right up until about Rose Madder when I lost interest, although I still believe The Stand was a brilliant piece of work. I still have the original 1978 hardcover as well as the 1990 updated version. In my opinion, the next best King work was with Peter Straub on The Talisman although it's follow up, Black House, was just so-so. I enjoyed The Gunslinger series as well although it took 20 years or so to finish that series and I was a bit annoyed that King placed himself as a character in the last bit of the story.

I have Under The Dome on my book server, maybe I'll give him another try.
    I really liked The Stand. But I will say I liked Under The Dome more -- much more. It was the most gripping book I ever read. The characters -- the whole cast -- are as compelling or even more so than The Stand. Give Under The Dome a chance; you could call it a "return to form" for King.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The only character of King's I ever liked was Christine; he has a way of imbuing everything he touches with ugliness, if my memory serves me. I did like one of his short stories-The Mist?
    Why did you like Christine?

Also: King can create characters that are utterly evil. But he also creates characters are are so truly good. This is something like like about him.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    ...11/22/63 was my favorite of his more recent works.
    It is on my list!

I only recently learned about Marjory Stoneman Douglas after the Parkland shooting. She seems like such an indomitable woman, I was compelled to read her autobiography. It's a pretty light read, but she reminds me in a way of my great aunt who was born only 9 years earlier. I'm fascinated with that period of time--the turn of the century through the Depression, and I'm also fascinated with people who stand up for unpopular causes, so this book, Marjory Stoneman Douglas: The Voice of the River, is right up my alley.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Why did you like Christine?

Also: King can create characters that are utterly evil. But he also creates characters are are so truly good. This is something like like about him.
    I can't really remember the specifics, only that Christine was surprisingly sympathetic, IMO. I never found any of his characters particularly likable, but it's been a long time.

Yppej
    This Just In: What I Couldn't Yell You on TV by Bob Schieffer
    9 Years Among the Indians 1870-1879 by captive Herman Lehman

Thread Information