Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

Just saw Miracle on 34th street on the big screen. I think it might have been the first time I saw it as it was shot--Natalie Wood's face was incandescent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Just saw Miracle on 34th street on the big screen. I think it might have been the first time I saw it as it was shot--Natalie Wood's face was incandescent.
    She was an incredibly beautiful child.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Leave no Trace was worth seeing. Itís a coming of age story in unusual circumstances, where a girl has to evaluate the life she and her father have been living and take charge of the life that is best for her.
    Just watched this last night. IMO it was very slow and the ending sucked. Not a recommend in my book. YLMV

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Just watched this last night. IMO it was very slow and the ending sucked. Not a recommend in my book. YLMV
    What would you have liked to see happen in the end? (Give a warning about spoilers if you refer to the true ending)

what would you have liked to see happene faster?

This was in my top 5 films of the year, but granted, this is a bad year for film for me.

I saw Mary Queen of Scots yesterday.

It is another competent but uninspiring film of the year 2018. There have been a lot of films like that this year. It gets only 3 stars from me, mainly because Saoirse Roman is competent as she usually is, and she physically resembles Mary Stuart.

The film gallops along trying to pack all of the incidents of Mary’s life into a short amount of time. As a result none of it is especially interesting. Henry Stewart Lord Darnley gets the longest treatment in the film outside of Elizabeth and Mary. Bothwell’s direct involvement with Mary lasts about two minutes on the screen and is very disappointing. For Mary aficionados, Bothwell is a romantic enigma worthy of attention.

The big pivitol scene is very pretty and fantastical in both execution and in the imagination. The two queens never met in real life so yeah, them moving between floaty curtains is the stuff of dreams.

The more I think about this the madder it makes me because I just don’t get why they couldn’t make a better film with all the American money that was poured into it. It was apparently based on one specific book.

The casting was odd. Jarring. I do not understand why so many African-Americans were given lead roles as courtiers and towns people. Clearly the filmmakers are trying to convey something but damned if I know what it was.Guy Pearce was in this film but I don’t remember seeing him. I was so happy to see Brendan Coyle as Darnley’s father because I am still nurturing remnants of a crush on that actor, but but like most people in this film he had only a couple scenes and a few words.

Overall, the film tried to do too much.

If we can get out of our holiday lethargy, we might go see Vice tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    We saw it a couple of days ago and we all really liked it (DH, BIL and me). I thought it was an intriguing story. I didn't mind the pace, and I liked the ending. . Different strokes for different folks, I guess!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We saw Mary Queen of Scotland yesterday and both of us really enjoyed it.

Thought that I would post the CBC review of the best films as I have not seen some of the titles listed here. I have not watched any of those listed.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ilms-1.4949392

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Thought that I would post the CBC review of the best films as I have not seen some of the titles listed here. I have not watched any of those listed.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ilms-1.4949392
    Roma is the only one I would take seriously on that list. There are some odd choices there.

I loudly and unrelentingly complained about the quality of films this year and last year. Mostly no one agrees with me. Last year, the entire year was saved by a handful of beautiful and interesting films that came out in the last 4 weeks of the year (Moonlight, Manchester. Elle, Call Me By Your Name) so it was not a bust.

This year, only The Favourite was worth seeing in the last weeks of the year. I will see Roma and have high hopes for it.

I have re-discovered a favorite film critic, Dr. Frank Sweitek, who writes as One Guy’s Opinion on film. He is a professor of hostory in Texas. And he gave a letter grade of “A” only to one film in 2018 and it was Roma. He gave A- grades to two other films, Paddington Bear 2 and an Israeli film. Eveything else got letter grades of “B” and below. He is a hard grader! That is why I like him.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-26-18 at 1:27pm.