Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

"Collette" starring Keira Knightley as the young French woman who wrote the popular Claudine novels although her then-husband published them under his name. But their open marriage in the 1900 time frame would probably be the most surprising for viewers. Another visually lovely movie.

Williamsmith
    I saw “A Star is Born”, Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga. No doubt Lady Gaga will win an award for her performance, Bradley Cooper probably worked too hard in this movie and I could have done with half as much time with him on the screen. Overall it was a huge disappointment for me. I was expecting a love story and an underdog comes out on top kind of flick. Instead, I got a drone performing abusive relationships to people and substances....over and over and over.

Bradley Cooper needed to be a supporting actor but instead he took over the movie and turned it into a male dominated example of turning a needless backstory into the main theme. Lady Gaga could have easily carried this movie to its greater potential but Cooper got in the way. The love story never developed like several other possible plot avenues. Instead every interesting part of the movie was glossed over in exchange for Cooper showing how he could act like a drunken drug addict and an abusive partner. Lots of unfinished opportunity and an ending that underwhelmed me. But still it will get much praise from the media because that’s the way they want it.

5/10 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I saw “A Star is Born”, Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga. No doubt Lady Gaga will win an award for her performance, Bradley Cooper probably worked too hard in this movie and I could have done with half as much time with him on the screen. Overall it was a huge disappointment for me. I was expecting a love story and an underdog comes out on top kind of flick. Instead, I got a drone performing abusive relationships to people and substances....over and over and over.

Bradley Cooper needed to be a supporting actor but instead he took over the movie and turned it into a male dominated example of turning a needless backstory into the main theme. Lady Gaga could have easily carried this movie to its greater potential but Cooper got in the way. The love story never developed like several other possible plot avenues. Instead every interesting part of the movie was glossed over in exchange for Cooper showing how he could act like a drunken drug addict and an abusive partner. Lots of unfinished opportunity and an ending that underwhelmed me. But still it will get much praise from the media because that’s the way they want it.

5/10 for me.
    Thanks for the review. I'm going to suspend judgement, because I think the story IS the one about how sometimes we love people that are substance-fueled jerks, and its tragic theme is that love does not always conquer all. When my alcoholic father broke a house rule so that I could stay up and watch the movie with him, I think it was a silent plea for compassion and love.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'm going to suspend judgement, because I think the story IS the one about how sometimes we love people that are substance-fueled jerks, and its tragic theme is that love does not always conquer all. When my alcoholic father broke a house rule so that I could stay up and watch the movie with him, I think it was a silent plea for compassion and love.
    Please do get back and post a review. I am aware my response to the movie is not the majority opinion. Perhaps I have seen enough of the tragic theme. And I am probably a minority among that subset. Please enjoy the movie....

A Ghost Story (on Amazon Prime)
    I disliked this movie. It was made by the same guy who did the terrible "Pete's Dragon" remake. "A Ghost Story" is prententious slop.

From Vulture.com: Your response to A Ghost Story might depend on your capacity to reconcile its arty ellipses with its high sentimentality quotient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    A Ghost Story (on Amazon Prime)
    I disliked this movie. It was made by the same guy who did the terrible "Pete's Dragon" remake. "A Ghost Story" is prententious slop.

From Vulture.com: Your response to A Ghost Story might depend on your capacity to reconcile its arty ellipses with its high sentimentality quotient.
    I found A Ghost Story to be moving. I kept watching it thinking “this is kind of stupid” but damn, if it didnt get to me! When it was over, I had been drawn into that ghost guy’s mindset. Thinking back on it, I loved it. How the world aged after his corporeal presence, watching his wife and his house change while he stayed stuck, that was powerful.

But yeah, I also can see how it could be considered pretentious slop.

I didn't see Tree of Life because I was never in the right mood to appreciate it, but I think someday I need to watch that film because I suspect it requires the same viewing ability to allow the filmmaker to take you on an emotional journey.

DH and I saw First Man Friday evening - Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong and the NASA space race to get to the moon. We both remember the Gemini and Apollo missions (him more than me, since he's 7.5 years older, lol). We both thought it was wonderful. It's based on a book which I haven't read, but I may now. The movie goes into the Armstrongs' private life and how it affected their marriage, etc. It's amazing to think about how primitive the computers and equipment were back in the 1960's. One scene shows Armstrong using his engineering background to paper-and-pencil calculate how to dock the Gemini to a station while in space because the original ones didn't work. I held back tears when he said, "The Eagle has landed." Not sure why that still gets to me almost 50 years later.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I will have to see First Man. My father was one of the physicians who tended to the early astronauts before and after their returns. When he passed away, there was a lot of interesting (and somewhat private) memorabilia to go through. It was an exciting time.

I liked the original star is born movie. Don’t care to see the new one.

"lovely, still" a 2007 movie I picked up in the bargain bin. Stars Ellen Burstyn and Martin Landau as older lovers. A Hallmark movie with a twist ending.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1150947/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Thread Information