Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

What movies are you watching 2018?

I watch mostly foreign films. Any you might suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I watch mostly foreign films. Any you might suggest?
    “Incendies” a 2010 Canadian film that takes place in the Middle East. It centers on violence, revenge, and redemption. It is heavy, very heavy.

A few years ago I watched a few films about child predators. One that stands out as good (not fantastic, but interesting) is “Troubled Water” a Danish film about a young man out of prison for killing a child. It shows his life when integrating back into society after this heinous crime. It helps that the main character is played by a winsomely handsome actor. He is a sympathetic character.

Ypu probably follow the list of foreign films nominated for Oscars. I find that a good place for recommendations.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-1-18 at 11:43am.

Subject matter?

I ask because I really liked the Millennium Trilogy. (3 movies together, not the USA version, of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). I'd like to see Kindertransport and there was one in that Genre that isn't a foreign film, but I would almost consider it one (Letters from Iwo Jima). But I have always had an interest in that subject between the HST connections, the operation paperclip connection, and the Japanese chef friend and Austrian chef neighbor, whose families fought on the other sides.
    There was a vampire movie that was in my would be interested to see or read cue, and I found the dvd at a local store for $3, Let the Right One In. (would love to find the soundtrack to this one, and I would avoid the US remake)
    A young lady I know, wants me to watch Battleship Royal. The plot sounds too similar to what has been coming out in the recent past.

Off the top of my head, I haven't had great access to true foreign movies. (seems if I find stuff I might want to see, there is a region code issue) One that I saw on a recommendation, as a teenager, I would NOT recommend, is RAN.
    Last edited by ToomuchStuff; 1-2-18 at 2:27pm. Reason: Typing late at night. Gave Harry a new middle name, LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions! Much appreciated.

Let The Right One In is an excellent film! I watched it back in graduate school. My circle of friends back then was all about it.

What else do you all have lined up to watch? Domestic films?

I LOVE Let the Right One In, Swedish version. It is on my top 25 Favorite Films list. The American version is decent, too.

We saw “I, Tonya” tongiht. It is great entertainment. It tells the story of skater Tonya Harding in an irreverant way, but still respectful to her.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-14-18 at 9:42am.

Williamsmith
    “The Post” ...a Stephen Spielberg movie with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep. About Katherine Graham who owned the Washington Post at the time a not very influential paper in a very influential town. Their primary rival the New York Times published top secret and sensitive information obtained from a Rand Corp. source showing the highest level officials in government knew the Vietnam War was a debacle but chose to continue it at the risk and peril of the nation’s youth simply to postpone the embarrassment of losing a foreign war. The Nixon administration obtained an injunction against the Times and the Post was placed in a perilous position of deciding to publish the same leaked information and risk the death of the paper or keep mute and sell out the first amendment.

Katherine Graham is portrayed as breaking through the male barrier in a predominantly male profession. Streep is very good. It starts out slow but accelerates and ends quite satisfactorily.

"Loving Vincent" is a unique exquisite work of art about Vincent van Gogh that I watched tonight. "Loving Vincent - is the world's first fully painted feature film!" I found some new info about the artist but the artwork took 10 years to finish and so gorgeous.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Bicentennial Man. It was ironic hearing the Robin Williams character warned about the anguish humans can face.

Loved the Post. That and Ordinary People really brought me back in time with the fashions, hairstyles, manners, and mores.
    That was my life, circa 1971. Well, minus the newspaper ownership!

Thread Information