Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

Junior Member gazingmassachusetts's Avatar
    I've a few lined up for 2019 already Star Wars, John Wick 3, Avengers 4, X-men and Spider-man

loooove action :P

Saw Green Book last night and really enjoyed the story, the acting and the truth underlying it all.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Tried to watch the highly acclaimed 1974 The Conversation and just could not get through it.

Renoir … which I would recommend to adults who are interested in the history of painting (Pierre-Auguste Renoir, the father) or cinema (Jean Renoir, the son). I say "adult" due to the triangle involving Andree, the 18-year-old Alsacienne who becomes the father's muse and the son's lover. (In "real life" after the death of Pierre-Auguste in 1919, Jean and Andree married. They moved to Hollywood, where Jean made films, and Andree acted in several of them, using the stage-name Catherine Hessling.)

The screenplay is French with English sub-titles. I believe the movie was filmed on location at Renoir's house and studio (magnificent grounds) on the Cote d'Azur in France. The events in the film happened in 1917-1918.

Pierre-Auguste is driven to go on painting despite rheumatoid arthritis which made it necessary for him to be carried over rough trails (usually by 4 women while he was seated in a wheelchair), and which caused burning sensations and intractable pain in his joints. (No longer able to grasp a paint brush, Renoir had his assistants tie each brush to his hand with strips of cloth.)

Jean arrives on crutches with a war wound. Throughout his medical leave he is driven to return to the front and fight for France. When Jean has recovered well enough, he joins an escadrille. Andree is not pleased. She tells him she feels betrayed, and "It is easy to die." Pierre-August rises painfully to his feet and gives his son a long hug, and he says, "Don't screw up." Jean replies to his father, "Don't you screw up!"

Leave No Trace. Saw it on Amazon Prime. Wonderfully subtle, nuanced script and directing, and sterling performances from the two main actors.

Interestingly, the film was co-written and directed by Debra Granik, whose also directed Winter's Bone, which catapulted Jennifer Lawrence to stardom a few years back. This film is likely to do the same for a young actress named Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie (from New Zealand, yet!) who gives an absolutely amazing performance here.

Highly recommended.

Yppej
    On the Basis of Sex about RBG.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    Leave No Trace. Saw it on Amazon Prime. Wonderfully subtle, nuanced script and directing, and sterling performances from the two main actors.

Interestingly, the film was co-written and directed by Debra Granik, whose also directed Winter's Bone, which catapulted Jennifer Lawrence to stardom a few years back. This film is likely to do the same for a young actress named Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie (from New Zealand, yet!) who gives an absolutely amazing performance here.

Highly recommended.
    yes, this was good. Probably this and The Favourite were my top films of the year, but
    I have not yet seen Roma. I found 2018 to be a dismal year for film.

I am goingnto start a new thread for 2019 to shake the curse of 2018.

I watched the Pixar movie, Coco, on Netflix yesterday. Animation and message of the film were great.

I'm reading Aspergirls by Rudy Simone, and recognizing a lot of myself in it. There seems to be a lot of crossover between introversion and Asperger's; I'm beginning to think there's so much subjective judgment involved in the diagnosis of Asperger's that it's largely an arbitrary designation.

And I'm continuing to enjoy Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind, though I've switched to an audible version. If we had embraced psychedelics instead of greed fifty years ago, we'd be far better off now, IMO.

Just watched Phantom Thread with Daniel Day-Lewis. Awesome movie! However, I have to say BIL and DH were not that impressed. It's very unique, but the acting is great, the cinematography is gorgeous, and the story very compelling.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information