Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 101

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

  1. #31
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,791
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Spoiler alert on 3 Billboards:


    I can see how some groups were offended by 3 Billboards, but to be honest the best and most honorable people in that film were the cops. Woody Harrelson character was inspirational in a Christ-llike way, and the impact he had on Dixon--the redeemed bad guy--was awesome. Sam Rockwell deserves his nomination. My favorite stories are stories of redemption, and that's how I saw this movie. I also loved that I struggled to understand what was likeable about Frances McDormand's character--as a protagonist she was SO long-suffering. I just found it to be a fascinating character study.

    Oh make no mistake, it was a film worth watching. The same director made one of my all time
    favorite films ten years ago, In Bruges. It has the same themes of violence, redemption, midgets. The sublime Peter Dinklage was wasted in this film. i am glad he got work on the big screen but his role was too much about being a short man, it was a little cringe worthy.

  2. #32
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,220
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh make no mistake, it was a film worth watching. The same director made one of my all time
    favorite films ten years ago, In Bruges. It has the same themes of violence, redemption, midgets. The sublime Peter Dinklage was wasted in this film. i am glad he got work on the big screen but his role was too much about being a short man, it was a little cringe worthy.
    I agree about the Dinklage character.

    I'm familiar with McDonagh's theatrical works. I saw The Lieutenant of Inishmore on Broadway--or Off.. can't remember--but I do remember it was VERY dark comedy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  3. #33
    Senior Member Gardenarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    4,108
    Has anyone seen "Black Panther"? I'm looking forward to it.
    "Thor: Ragnarok" was one of the most entertaining films I saw last year.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,756
    We went to see Peter Rabbit last Wed. Valentine's Day. It was superb. The animation was magnificent. How they got those rabbits to seem so real was phenomenal. The settings were exquisite and they paid tribute to Beatriz Potter. We are two adult, retired teachers, no kids and just loved it.

  5. #35
    Senior Member beckyliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    349
    DH and I saw Coco Sunday afternoon at the cheap theatre. We both loved it. DH admitted he teared up in a few places. Went with a couple of girlfriends to see Phantom Threads a couple of weeks ago. I went basically to see the clothes and scenery. Had heard it was quirky and it was certainly that! We all like it, though.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

  6. #36
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,791
    Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    DH and I saw Coco Sunday afternoon at the cheap theatre. We both loved it. DH admitted he teared up in a few places. Went with a couple of girlfriends to see Phantom Threads a couple of weeks ago. I went basically to see the clothes and scenery. Had heard it was quirky and it was certainly that! We all like it, though.
    Phantom Thread WAS interesting.

    I was surprised to see the actress whomplayed the sister be nominated for an Oscar when the actress who played hhis muse was in practically every scene, once she was introduced in the film. She was excellent, too.it was a high quality production all around.

  7. #37
    Senior Member beckyliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    349
    Saw Black Panther last night with DH. It was his birthday and he LOVES the Marvel movies. It was amazing - I cannot imagine all the work that went into it. In addition to the strong African characters, I loved seeing the amazing women in the movie. Always fun to catch Stan Lee.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

  8. #38
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,791
    I tried to watch There Will Be Blood sn e that was on the top ten list of films of the 2000 decade of several of my film buddies,
    ugh, I found it unwatchable. I think I understand the appeal but it was not for me.

  9. #39
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,870
    Thanks for this review. I am going tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    We went to see Peter Rabbit last Wed. Valentine's Day. It was superb. The animation was magnificent. How they got those rabbits to seem so real was phenomenal. The settings were exquisite and they paid tribute to Beatriz Potter. We are two adult, retired teachers, no kids and just loved it.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  10. #40
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,220
    Saw The Secret Scripture with Vanessa Redgrave and Rooney Mara. I loved it. So I wanted to hear what the critics said. The critics basically panned it, but the audience gave it really high marks. Did anyone else see it?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •