Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

"Maudie" rented from Redbox. It's based on the true story of Maude Lewis, a folk art painter from Nova Scotia. She had a tough life physically and financially but gained some measure of fame - made me think of Grandma Moses in the U.S.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Lewis

I'm not usually a Sally Hawkins fan but she did a fantastic job portraying her. Would definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    "Maudie" rented from Redbox. It's based on the true story of Maude Lewis, a folk art painter from Nova Scotia. She had a tough life physically and financially but gained some measure of fame - made me think of Grandma Moses in the U.S.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maud_Lewis

I'm not usually a Sally Hawkins fan but she did a fantastic job portraying her. Would definitely recommend.
    This film was discussed further up, but no problem with you bringing it up again. I respond to this only to discuss Sally
    Hawkins, an actress I avoid. She was bearable in The Shape of Water mainly she didnt talk.

Yppej
    Because of the discussion here I saw "Three Billboards in Ebbing, Missouri". I liked it because I could not always see where it was going, though I disliked the very ending.

Because we haven't set up our TV yet, in the evening I stream something to my liking (DH is determined not to watch TV in VT). So, in the past week I've watched Baby Boom, Mothers Day, and Swingers.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Loved the Peter Rabbit movie. It was beautiful animation and cleverly done connecting the real with the animation. Took two friends who needed a emotional lift and they loved it, too.

That's interesting to hear. I have a built in revulsion to it without even seeing it. I'm so enraptured with Potter's charming pictures and it's anachronistic feel, I took one look at the previews for this and could not even begin to be open to it. So, it's good to hear good things...enough of them and I might change my mind.

Last night I saw "Fences" based on a play by August Wilson which won the Pulitzer prize. Denzel Washington played the lead role and directed it.
    Life Lessons From The Pennsylvania Dutchhttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/804572

Saw Book Club. Despite so-so reviews, the theater was full and there were plenty of laughs. A fun little summer movie.

Binge-watched a few Thin Man movies this weekend. They don't make them like that anymore, and we are probably poorer for it.

I just watched two classics, The Bridge over the River Kwai was sort of a pseudo memorial day observation. And The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Both were great entertainment for the plot and acting alone, but also to pick up some bits of historic filming techniques. Some vintage films seem dated and a little boring even though they were popular in the day. I did not get that impression from either of these.

We went to see RBG. Very interesting. I am in awe of her exercise program. Love little old ladies who won’t go quietly.

Thread Information