Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

Dare I confess that I watched 'Bumblebee' last night? I love how the graphics are done in these shows. What I did find interesting was the heroine was a very capable young woman who could hold her own. The story was simple good vs bad but the modelling of youth's good vs bad behaviour was not subtle.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We saw replicas which was good and Second Act which was pure fun. DH wants to see bumblebee but will have to go alone.

Williamsmith
    “Ben’s Back”.......I never thought I’d complain about a movie being too realistic. Julie Roberts turns in an Academy Award performance. Don’t expect to be uplifted. Understand why some families are desperate for an answer to the opioid problem.

After seeing the coming attractions I don’t want to that movie. Too much sadness in real life.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    After seeing the coming attractions I don’t want to that movie. Too much sadness in real life.
    Yeah I walked into an otherwise packed movie theatre with ten movies showing and shared a cavernous theatre with five other people. I realized half way through the movie that I was squeezing the butter out of my popcorn napkin out of empathetic anxiety. A co worker of mine had a son go this route and it cost him his house and all his retirement savings to pay for rehab many times over, defense attorneys many times over, restitution many times over and finally (some said mercifully) a one time funeral. I should have gone to see “Green Book”.

I have a son with a meth addiction and I am surprised he is still alive. He will get clean, work for a year, etc and then it all falls apart. He has been in prison a lot for possession. I love him but won’t go broke in a misguided attempt to save him. It’s not possible.

Going to se Green Book over the next week sometime. It looks like an interesting approach to an old challenge.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Also, I had seen "Beautiful Boy" which is the same subject. Timothee Chalamet gives a very convincing performance as the intelligent but drug-addicted son, but I didn't want to see that same story twice.
    I really liked Hedges in Manchester by the Sea, and Boy Erased. Seems like Hedges and Chalamet are the top of the new wave of young actors.

Saw Molly's Game last night (and the night before--it's a long movie, BTW).

I loved it! I like Aaron Sorkin, and he wrote the screenplay from the true-life story of Molly Bloom, who went from being an Olympic-trained skier to running high stakes poker games in LA and NY. Very compelling and great performances, especially by Jessica Chastain.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I will check out Molly's Game. We watched the Leisure Seeker with Helen Mirren and Donald Southerland. Interesting, although I disagreed with a lot of the conclusions they reached. Helen Mirren's Charleston accent went in and out.

Thread Information