Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Omg! That is the most movng film I have seen in years! It was followed closely by Moonlight which I saw the next day. Those two films back to back show the power of film to illustrate human suffering. I cnsider 2016 a good year in films due to those two.. And that scene with Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams on the sidewalk, that was a master class in acting.

Only Atonement, ten years ago, beats these films for grand emotion.

all my opinion of course, and how they affected me.

rosa, I believe you when you say you didnt have heart string tugged, but girl, I think you need to make an apointmentment to have those strings checked out by your doc! Haha. When the Albioni music started up, and ran throughout the entire scene of tragedy, that elevated the film to perfection for me. it was the perfect piece of music.
    Wow, just goes to show you one size certainly doesn't fit all! I did like Moonlight though; we saw that one recently.

I'm going to watch "Enchanted April" this weekend, because this winter sucks. I've probably seen it 3x already.

I watched "45 Years" last night. It's on Amazon Prime. It's about a couple in the week before their 45th anniversary party, and an old secret is revealed that turns out to be pivotal to what their marriage became. It takes place in a marshy area of England (Norfolk?) Just lovely to look at; i felt i was right there. The movie is slow paced and careful, it feels honest. Charlotte Rampling's face is unforgettable. A very well crafted film.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Wow, just goes to show you one size certainly doesn't fit all! I did like Moonlight though; we saw that one recently.
    Yes, apparently dh and I are the only ones who thoroughly disliked "Manchester by the Sea." Too many years spent in Boston, maybe.

Last night I watched Lucky

A small-town Arizona man in his 90s contemplates the end of life, as an atheist. He reveals amazing abilities. The screenplay was written with layers of metaphor.

Saw 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri the other night. Loved it.

Saw The Dressmaker with Kate Winslet last week. Very cute and quirky, albeit a bit dark.

Finally saw A Man Called Ove last week. Loved it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Saw 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri the other night. Loved it.

Saw The Dressmaker with Kate Winslet last week. Very cute and quirky, albeit a bit dark.

Finally saw A Man Called Ove last week. Loved it.

Of those three, I think Ove irritated me the least.

While there were many things to like about 3 Billboards (especially Woody Harrelson’s role and performance), overall it was trying to hard to be something important and in that, it just insultd groups like Missouri rednecks, small town cops, etc.

The Kate Winslett film was dismal and the script not really very good. The bad people were so bad! That never makes for a good film unless the badness is dont creatively. The setting was a little bit interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I watched "45 Years" last night. It's on Amazon Prime. It's about a couple in the week before their 45th anniversary party, and an old secret is revealed that turns out to be pivotal to what their marriage became. It takes place in a marshy area of England (Norfolk?) Just lovely to look at; i felt i was right there. The movie is slow paced and careful, it feels honest. Charlotte Rampling's face is unforgettable. A very well crafted film.
    This one is on my long list.

I watched a vampire film, Only Lovers Left Alive (2013) highly recommended by a group on the MMm site. It was really really cool, I loved it! Tilda Swindon and Tom Hiddleston play century old lovers, vampires, who reside in picturesque decaying places like Tangiers and central Detroit. There isn’t much of a plot. It is about their languid lives and the man’s depression.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Of those three, I think Ove irritated me the least.

While there were many things to like about 3 Billboards (especially Woody Harrelson’s role and performance), overall it was trying to hard to be something important and in that, it just insultd groups like Missouri rednecks, small town cops, etc.

The Kate
    Winslett film was dismal and the script not really very good. The bad people were so bad! That never makes for s good film u lesd the badness is dont je creatively. The setting was a little bit interesting.
    Spoiler alert on 3 Billboards:

I can see how some groups were offended by 3 Billboards, but to be honest the best and most honorable people in that film were the cops. Woody Harrelson character was inspirational in a Christ-llike way, and the impact he had on Dixon--the redeemed bad guy--was awesome. Sam Rockwell deserves his nomination. My favorite stories are stories of redemption, and that's how I saw this movie. I also loved that I struggled to understand what was likeable about Frances McDormand's character--as a protagonist she was SO long-suffering. I just found it to be a fascinating character study.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information