Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

Tentative plans to go see "Crazy Rich Asians" on Sunday. Not much else out there that I'm even interested in seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Tentative plans to go see "Crazy Rich Asians" on Sunday. Not much else out there that I'm even interested in seeing.
    Film selection is shit this year. Two more months and it will improve, the Oscar contenders come out.

Art house releases were crap this year.

Well, I loved "Whisky Galore" from Britain. Movie came out in 2016, but I don't go to theaters,
    spending buckets of money to sit in a concrete bunker like we have for theaters around here
    does not appeal to me.

But Whisky Galore has been on Comcast, Comcast being a cheap internet provider
    that I can bundle cable TV and some of the cell phone stuff into.

During the horrible shortages of food and Booze during World War 2, a ship full
    of high-class Scotch Whiskey founders off a remote Scottish Island, and a comedy
    ensues as the thrifty and alcohol-loving Scots locals hide the Whiskey
    from the English authorities.

The comedy element provides a sugar coating on a deeper discussion of small-town
    personal loyalties and caring, tight-knit culture versus cold Officialdom;
    and on the domination of Scotland by England.

Reminiscent of the "Englishman who went up a hill..." movie with Hugh Grant.

Even the original 1949 version of Whisky Galore was a comedy masterpiece of
    clever contrasts between the small town people and the Establishment.

Yppej
    Operation Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Took my daughter and niece to see it Saturday afternoon. I've read or listened to all 3 books by Kevin Kwan and enjoyed looking into a world I'll never see up close and personal (not that I really want to). Talk about anti-Simple Living!! The movie followed the first book closely, but of course, a lot of background was missing. The views of Singapore were amazing.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Took my daughter and niece to see it Saturday afternoon. I've read or listened to all 3 books by Kevin Kwan and enjoyed looking into a world I'll never see up close and personal (not that I really want to). Talk about anti-Simple Living!! The movie followed the first book closely, but of course, a lot of background was missing. The views of Singapore were amazing.
    Agree - on top of the storyline and characters, it's a visual treat. I understand the next book in the series is also being made into a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Well, I loved "Whisky Galore" from Britain. Movie came out in 2016, but I don't go to theaters,
    spending buckets of money to sit in a concrete bunker like we have for theaters around here
    does not appeal to me.

But Whisky Galore has been on Comcast, Comcast being a cheap internet provider
    that I can bundle cable TV and some of the cell phone stuff into.

During the horrible shortages of food and Booze during World War 2, a ship full
    of high-class Scotch Whiskey founders off a remote Scottish Island, and a comedy
    ensues as the thrifty and alcohol-loving Scots locals hide the Whiskey
    from the English authorities.

The comedy element provides a sugar coating on a deeper discussion of small-town
    personal loyalties and caring, tight-knit culture versus cold Officialdom;
    and on the domination of Scotland by England.

Reminiscent of the "Englishman who went up a hill..." movie with Hugh Grant.

Even the original 1949 version of Whisky Galore was a comedy masterpiece of
    clever contrasts between the small town people and the Establishment.
    Sounds good! Did you ever see Waking Ned Devine? Another of that ilk.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I watched HBO’s The Tale about a journalist who recovered her memories of sexual abuse as a 13 year old girl. Laura Dern stars in it. It is very interesting, well done, with interesting characters and reactions.

Took my 14 year-old grandson to see his first rom-com, Crazy Rich Asians, and we both loved it. It was over the top in so many consumerist ways but the photos of Singapore were really amazing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    My wife and I went to see “Crazy Rich Asians”. While the movie was entertaining and the cinematography of the City Of Singapore made us want to visit there......I think one downside was that for a movie that included all Asian actors.....it seemed very American.

I wonder what Asians will think of the movie if and when they get to see it. I’m not talking about American Born Chinese (ABCs). I’m talking about native Chinese. I can’t help but think the movie might leave them feeling a little disrespected, although, the scene with the MahJong challenge does have its subtlties. But still, it was a movie targeting American consumers with the expected gratuitous stereotypes. Because of this I couldn’t take it seriously as either a romantic story or a groundbreaking flick. It was simply entertaining and it might generate profit mostly because of that.

I guess I shouldn’t expect to learn more about real Chinese culture from Hollywood. But hey, there should be some kind of statue given out even if I think the acting itself was less than technically proficient.

Thread Information