Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I will have to see First Man. My father was one of the physicians who tended to the early astronauts before and after their returns. When he passed away, there was a lot of interesting (and somewhat private) memorabilia to go through. It was an exciting time.
    Fascinating!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Saw "First Man" last night. Well worth the $29 for movie tickets and snacks. It is a must see.

Yppej
    An Inconvenient Sequel.

"Boy Erased" - based on the true story of a teen son of a Christian minister who is sent away to a "conversion therapy" place to try to turn him into a heterosexual.
    Pretty brutalizing, and this was 2004 time frame. Excellent acting by Russell Crowe who plays the dad, and wonderful acting as usual by Lucas Hedges.

I saw "The Crimes of Grindelwald." Beautiful cinematography, but the story was basically incomprehensible. I'm very familiar with all the Potter books, and they went way off canon. Jude Law was a good choice for young Dumbledore; I wish there was more of him in the move.

DH and the young adult offspring and I saw Bohemian Rhapsody Saturday evening. We all thought it was amazing. The actor who played Freddie Mercury - Rami Malek - did a superb job of inhabiting his character and showing us his talents, drive and demons. Watch out for the inside joke that Mike Myers says as he plays an exec with EMI. The actor who played Brian May must be related to him - unbelievable resemblance. I would see it again. Now to dig out the old Best of Queen CD...
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I saw "The Crimes of Grindelwald." Beautiful cinematography, but the story was basically incomprehensible. I'm very familiar with all the Potter books, and they went way off canon. Jude Law was a good choice for young Dumbledore; I wish there was more of him in the move.
    I liked the first "Fantastic Beasts" film better than the Harry Potter movies.

Saw "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the weekend. I thought it was pretty good, but not "wonderful." Rather entertaining. Now I've got various Queen songs as earworms.

My video choices have been uninspiring for some time now, but I did really enjoy Blackkklansman. Although Hollywood had a hand in enhancing the story, it's the true account of a black cop who infiltrates the KKK in Colorado Springs. A little of the Coen Bros. dark style of humor and a great period soundtrack by the award winning jazz trumpeter, Terence Blanchard. I got it as a DVD from Netflix.

Yppej
    I started the Blackkklansman book but didn't finish it. I'm glad for your sake the movie was better.

Thread Information