Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

Just saw The Hate U Give. Based on the YA novel. Young actress Amandla Stenberg really carries the movie. (Goodreads gives the novel 4.5 stars)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Just saw The Hate U Give. Based on the YA novel. Young actress Amandla Stenberg really carries the movie. (Goodreads gives the novel 4.5 stars)
    Yeah, I see that showing up in the Goodreads competition for best book of the past ten years. There are some perfectly mediocre books lined up (they skipped The Goldfinch? Crowdsourcing this isnt highlighting best book IMHO.)

I donwloaded the autobiography of the Sociopath. It is fascinatin so far!

ooops, this is on the movie thread. Oh well.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-21-18 at 3:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    I saw "The Crimes of Grindelwald." Beautiful cinematography, but the story was basically incomprehensible. I'm very familiar with all the Potter books, and they went way off canon. Jude Law was a good choice for young Dumbledore; I wish there was more of him in the move.
    Saw it with my daughter over the weekend, which was fortunate since she could explain some of the more obscure plot points and motivations to me. The whole thing seemed pretty much a setup for a sequel. Johnny Depp chewed the scenery shamelessly and the CGI was almost overpowering.

The kid loved it though. I’m thinking I will be sharing my income with JK Rowling for some time to come. Better the kid to be into that than gaming-obsessed, I guess.

Decided to go high-brow today and see "Ralph Breaks The Internet".

Spoiler alert:
    When the entire group of Disney Princesses get together and decide to save a big strong man, they're badass.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Saw Nutcracker/Four Realms Saturday afternoon. I knew going in it wasn't the same story as the ballet and that was correct! It was only very loosely based on the usual storyline at the beginning. Only one real ballet scene during the movie (Misty Copeland!) and then again during the credits. It was enjoyable - Morgan Freeman was in it, so there's that. I liked the steampunk-inspired stagecraft.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

We watched “Can You .ever Forgive Me?” “with Melissa McCarthy yesterday. It is out in theaters now, has been out for a while. It is about an author who finds a way to generate money from forged literary letters. It was competent but nothing great.

Watched Downsizing on Hulu as I thought it would be about simplifying. In order to avoid ecological catastrophe, humans can decide to become small (about 6") if they wish. What an odd movie!

Yppej
    Honey I Shrunk the ... Species.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Decided to go high-brow today and see "Ralph Breaks The Internet".

Spoiler alert:
    When the entire group of Disney Princesses get together and decide to save a big strong man, they're badass.
    Took my daughter to see it this weekend. She enjoyed explaining some of the more obscure internet jokes to me. I’m getting to be such a pop culture dinosaur. Just the other day, I found myself explaining to a thirty year old who WC Fields was.

Rewatched Alfie with Michael Caine this weekend. It's classified as a comedy and is one of the bleakest, most depressing movies ever. My husband said we should ask the library to reclassify it.

Thread Information