Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 114

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

  1. #11
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,664
    We watched "Manchester by the Sea" on DVD last night. It was 2+ hours of tedium, and I would respectfully suggest that Casey Affleck find a profession for which he is better suited. There was a lot of sad stuff going on here, and the film didn't tug at my heartstrings even the tiniest bit.

  2. #12
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,927
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We watched "Manchester by the Sea" on DVD last night. It was 2+ hours of tedium, and I would respectfully suggest that Casey Affleck find a profession for which he is better suited. There was a lot of sad stuff going on here, and the film didn't tug at my heartstrings even the tiniest bit.

    Omg! That is the most movng film I have seen in years! It was followed closely by Moonlight which I saw the next day. Those two films back to back show the power of film to illustrate human suffering. I cnsider 2016 a good year in films due to those two.. And that scene with Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams on the sidewalk, that was a master class in acting.

    Only Atonement, ten years ago, beats these films for grand emotion.

    all my opinion of course, and how they affected me.

    rosa, I believe you when you say you didnt have heart string tugged, but girl, I think you need to make an apointmentment to have those strings checked out by your doc! Haha. When the Albioni music started up, and ran throughout the entire scene of tragedy, that elevated the film to perfection for me. it was the perfect piece of music.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,159
    Jimi All Is By My Side about Jimi Hendrix.
    Last edited by Yppej; 1-21-18 at 5:23pm.

  4. #14
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,334
    We saw Dunkirk last night. My DH was dying to see it because his dad was at Dunkirk.

    I thought it was pretty good, but he hated it. He felt it was too choppy/hard to follow, and there was no character development.

    Anyone else see it? If so, what did you think?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  5. #15
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,927
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We saw Dunkirk last night. My DH was dying to see it because his dad was at Dunkirk.

    I thought it was pretty good, but he hated it. He felt it was too choppy/hard to follow, and there was no character development.

    Anyone else see it? If so, what did you think?
    I dont go to war films any more, so,didnt see this one.

  6. #16
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,334
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dont go to war films any more, so,didnt see this one.
    Really? A blanket policy, not to see war movies? How come?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  7. #17
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,394
    Not exactly a film, but I just watched All-American Murder, a 48 Hours documentary about Aaron Hernandez based on a book by James Patterson. When a parent's death, bad choices, and traumatic encephalopathy collide, the result isn't pretty.

  8. #18
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12,927
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Really? A blanket policy, not to see war movies? How come?
    They are too violent,
    I am unable to maintan mental distance from all of the war horror. And it is too bad because
    I missed several good ones of recent years.

    I saw bits and pieces of Hacksaw Ridge on an airplane but missed the story arc, so might as well have not watched those bits.

    The last war film I watched was not too long ago, American Sniper and it was good.

    Also I dont go to Holocaust films and havent in some years. I am no longer going to Tarantino films.

    When I was young I could read anything and see anything and those images didnt take up residence in my brain, but no longer. I remember being a young librarian and library patrons in their 60’s talked about how they couldnt read books with violence in them and I didnt understand. Now I do. Perhaps this mental shift comes about because as we age, we understand the fragility of human flesh, it isnt an abstract concept any more.

  9. #19
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VT/NJ
    Posts
    8,334
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    They are too violent,
    I am unable to maintan mental distance from all of the war horror. And it is too bad because
    I missed several good ones of recent years.

    I saw bits and pieces of Hacksaw Ridge on an airplane but missed the story arc, so might as well have not watched those bits.

    The last war film I watched was not too long ago, American Sniper and it was good.

    Also I dont go to Holocaust films and havent in some years. I am no longer going to Tarantino films.

    When I was young I could read anything and see anything and those images didnt take up residence in my brain, but no longer. I remember being a young librarian and library patrons in their 60’s talked about how they couldnt read books with violence in them and I didnt understand. Now I do. Perhaps this mental shift comes about because as we age, we understand the fragility of human flesh, it isnt an abstract concept any more.
    Great explanation. I agree with you, really. And the movies today are SO violent, gratuitously so. I hate Mel Gibson movies, including the movie that the rest of the family has declared our family movie, Braveheart. I just found it incredibly violent. All of his movies are filled with it. Same with Tarantino.

    I also subscribe to the idea that what you ingest becomes you, and if you are ingesting toxins, whether through eating them or watching them on TV or movies, the effect is the same.

    Dunkirk was not that bloody for a modern war film, actually. Of course there were a couple of "shut your eyes" types of moments, but it was really just a fairly boring account of a key moment in the war. I do think modern scriptwriters have lost the idea of a good story line.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  10. #20
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,716
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We saw Dunkirk last night. My DH was dying to see it because his dad was at Dunkirk.

    I thought it was pretty good, but he hated it. He felt it was too choppy/hard to follow, and there was no character development.

    Anyone else see it? If so, what did you think?
    I saw it recently and agree that the timeline was confusing because it was non-linear. The three timelines were One Week Out, where the troops in Dunkirk were trying to get back to England, One Day Out, where the commercial ships from England were racing across the Channel to provide help, and One Hour Out, where the RAF were engaging the German aircraft patrolling over the Channel.

    The lack of character development reflects the fact that the characters were irrelevant, the three stories, while interlinked, stand alone as elements of a monumental effort.

    I enjoyed it!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •