Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching 2018?

Loved the Peter Rabbit movie. It was beautiful animation and cleverly done connecting the real with the animation. Took two friends who needed a emotional lift and they loved it, too.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Call Me by Your Name is an Oscar contender. I loved it, it is beautiful ! Beautiful setting ( villa in Northern Italy in 1983) beautifully shot, beautiful people. They dont come more preppy picture perfect than Arnie Hammer.

It is about a 17 year old boy’s relationship with his father's research assistant one summer. The screenplay is by James IVory of Merchant/Ivory films, you know, all of those British costume dramas.

This one is perfect from beginnng to end, perhaps just a tad long. The last two scenes are amazing. In one, the boy’s father shows compassion and vulnerability as he talks of his own past and counsels his son to be proud of himself and his friendship with the Arnie
    hammond character. The last scene, as the credits roll, the boy stares off center of camera and we see his face as he remembers past events and thinks about the future. This scene earned his OscR nomination I am sure.

I hate it that any more, what seems like 85% of the good films come out within a six week period, mid November to January. I have seen 7 of the 9 Oscar nominated films, and a few others with nominated performances. I have pretty much seen every5ing I want to see although am onnthe fence about The Post.

Unrest, by Jennifer Brea--a PBS documentary about living with ME/CFS, often written off by the medical community as an all in your head woman's disease, even though studies show an immunological origin with mitochondrial involvement. Denmark doesn't come off well in this film, nor does the state of research in this country.

Went to the movies and saw Wonder with Julia Roberts. Really enjoyed it!

Saw Game Night over the weekend. It was soda-out-my-nose funny.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring again is a movie that I've seen a few times and every time I see something different.
    Life Lessons From The Pennsylvania Dutchhttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/804572

Just watched All Of The Queen's Horses last night . It's about Rita Crundwell and how she stole 52+ millions dollars over the course of 20 years from the city of Dixon Illinois ( pop 17K) . She used that money to fund a lifestyle that did not match her 80K a year job as a comptroller for the city of Dixon. The people of her town assumed that she made her money selling and breeding high end horses. Horse people know that there is not that kind of money in horses. It was assumed and hinted at that she had family money that was from investing in cell towers . She had both sides fooled.
    I did not know her personally, however being in the horse show world myself, I would see her ads in the Quarter Horse Journal and the results of all the major shows.
    I am always suspect of people who come into the horse industry and spend over the top . I have seen them come and go, but she has been in a class all of her own
    This isn't about the horses, but about how she did it and the fall out during and after. I think this should be required watching for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
    Just watched All Of The Queen's Horses last night . It's about Rita Crundwell and how she stole 52+ millions dollars over the course of 20 years from the city of Dixon Illinois ( pop 17K) . She used that money to fund a lifestyle that did not match her 80K a year job as a comptroller for the city of Dixon. The people of her town assumed that she made her money selling and breeding high end horses. Horse people know that there is not that kind of money in horses. It was assumed and hinted at that she had family money that was from investing in cell towers . She had both sides fooled.
    I did not know her personally, however being in the horse show world myself, I would see her ads in the Quarter Horse Journal and the results of all the major shows.
    I am always suspect of people who come into the horse industry and spend over the top . I have seen them come and go, but she has been in a class all of her own
    This isn't about the horses, but about how she did it and the fall out during and after. I think this should be required watching for everyone
    I didnt know there was a documentary about her, will look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I didnt know there was a documentary about her, will look for it.
    I watched it off iTunes.

I discovered some Robert Altman movies, like 3 Women, Nashville, Vincent and Theo (Vincent Van Gogh), and Engmar Bergman, the Swedish director: The Magician, Wild Strawberries, Autumn Sonata.
    Life Lessons From The Pennsylvania Dutchhttps://www.smashwords.com/books/view/804572

Thread Information