Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the Love of Old Houses

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    For years, we kept talking about building or buying one. Once we saw the physical challenges that my parents faced as years went by, we chose to build a single story, brick exterior, so that we could stay in it forever.

Some neighbours had similar ideas and built the dream home of their youth, really regretting it shortly thereafter due to some new health issues that persisted.
    Seen that too many times, where as one gets older, they get relegated to only one floor of a house. One of my siblings built a house based on some of those, because their spouse wanted that style. They have since bought a house that an elderly relative is living in, with the idea that they eventually move there, back into town (live on acreage in the country currently), and all on one level.

I am the other direction based on my medical issues growing up, and helping with relatives who couldn't walk from Polio and such. It is why (along with the lowered expenses), that I want a monolithic dome.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I want a monolithic dome.
    Is this a doable wish - legally, geographically, financially meeting local building codes and conditions?
    I have seen earth homes but never a dome that is presently inhabited.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Is this a doable wish - legally, geographically, financially meeting local building codes and conditions?
    I have seen earth homes but never a dome that is presently inhabited.
    There is one about 10 or 15 miles from the sibling that lives in the country. http://www.monolithic.org/homes/feat...has-advantages

I went through it a few years back on a tour. I didn't realize it was that close. The biggest restrictions tend to be financing (non traditional construction, larger structures tend to qualify for FEMA connected money/schools and such), and local building restrictions placed on the properties (building in a preexisting subdivision).
    As I live in an older area of town, where lots must now be combined to build on them, it would be likely allowed in my area, verses some area with "mega mansions" on tiny lots.

As is, it is still a dream, because once I paid for my house, I currently see no immediate need/desire to move and incur expenses.
    Last edited by ToomuchStuff; 1-2-18 at 4:09pm. Reason: Spelling

Thanks for the link to view the wide range of locations and uses. Traditional housing based on wood and concrete has to change to meet the changing needs.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I grew up in old houses. My very favorite still is my grandparents' house in Laurelhurst, Portland.
    Attachment 2043

I had two of my Aunties live in Laurelhurst in the 1960's
    ... I loved their houses

We live in an farmhouse that was built in the late 1800’s. We have updated/replaced all electrical and plumbing and turned small bedrooms into walk in closets as most houses in the 1800’s did not have closets. The house was built using 2”x10” boards (including inner walls) with true dimensional, balloon (studs extend for 2 stories) framing. The thick stone foundation is still solid and dry. I said if we ever build a new house I want an to build an new ‘old’ house.

Thread Information