Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Early: That is very exciting about your impending mortgage payoff!

Yppej
    I went to the library and checked out 10 books. While not free this service is covered by taxes I have to pay anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I went to the library and checked out 10 books. While not free this service is covered by taxes I have to pay anyway.
    And for once, you get your money's worth. I couldn't love my library system more.

We're on vacation. Today is day 4. We've bought groceries to cook-in at the cabin. Our only expense so far. Oh wait, I needed 1 yard of fabric to finish a quilt-$11.25. Now that's it! Not that groceries are cheap in a small mountain town where everything comes in by big rig. I paid $7.99/lb for grass fed ground beef.

But....I'm on vacation so it doesn't matter.................right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    But....I'm on vacation so it doesn't matter.................right?
    Sometimes you don't get that much of a choice on the terms of the sale. And vacation is hard-earned; with what you've spent already, what's another few dollars? I've seen much significantly higher prices than $7.99/lb for grass-fed ground beef in local stores, so it doesn't sound like you've been throwing away money by the bucketload.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I went through my diving gear and weeded out some things that didn't fit well (drysuit undies), a backup computer I don't use, and a few other small bits. I posted them on 2 FB diving gear sell groups. 3 items worth $275 sold very quickly! I have someone I know maybe interested in a $100 item. She knows I was posting it. That was very nice things sold so quickly.

Son-in-law and grandson both race at the dragstrip. With admission and parking it would be about $100 for myself and hubby. And that doesn't include food - and it started at 9 am, so arrival is around 730-8 am. Racing continued well past 8 pm. It's a long day! Well, since it was a special event, they were live streaming video - so hubby and I stayed home and watched on tv. I was able to handle some chores, hubby sat in front of the tv ALL day. He actually said he preferred it - you could see every race and hear all the announcers had to say. I call that a frugal win!

Hah! That's great! I just sold another $45 item!

I've saved so much money by eating at home/taking lunch to work, it's incredible. My grocery bill has stabilized at about $50 a week, but I pretty much eat the same thing.

Breakfast is a bagel from the grocery store - the ones in a bag in the bread aisle.

Lunch is a lunchmeat sandwich or PB and banana, with Chobani black cherry yogurt, a cut up Granny Smith apple or two. Snacks are pretzels or banana (if I didn't have it on sandwich).

I have a travel mug I drink a ton of hot tea from at work (I bring tea bags) and water in a reusable container I fill.

Dinner is soup or pasta. I drink milk or hot tea at home, some water.

Yppej
    I spend about $50 a week on food also, but also buy some nonfood items at the supermarket.

I do most of my shopping at Walmart, but the non-food items I budget for separately. Yesterday it was $14 for allergy meds, $7 face moisturizer, $4 Burt's Bees lip balm, $5 toilet paper.

Thread Information