Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

January Frugals

New year, new month, new Frugals thread!
    Dropped off a pile of stuff at Saver's today, and didn't bring anything new home with me.
    DH made turkey soup with stuffing dumplings tonight, from the frozen stock from the extra Thanksgiving turkey. The stuff is delicious!
    I got my $50 worth of virtual Mastercards from the Black Box rewards program. They made the whole process pretty difficult, but I was determined and was ultimately able to use them to buy Amazon gift cards.
    Was out & about with sister for a bit today, but all I bought was the ice melt that we really needed.

Jan 01
    --No spend, but did drive to pick up and take home Dsil, we did a holiday lunch with her today and did a gift exchange better late then never...lol
    --did a Roast Chicken dinner with all the fixings (2 Maple Leaf Prime chicken no anitibotic etc bought on sale with a coupon for an extra $2.00 off)
    lots of leftovers and the makings of a big pot of soup. And, sent her home with enough leftovers for a full meal.
    A lovely day that didn't cost too much. She isn't much for cooking so appreciates the home cooking.
    --Most of the gifts we exchange with her these days are consumable so I will enjoy the coffee, jams and bottle of Cherry, Chocolate Baily's she bought me over the cold winter.
    --All new spreadsheet created and done for the New Year. Made a whole different buget that does NOT allow for dipping into savings for Home Maintenance and Replacements
    It is save or wait my new motto!

Quote Originally Posted by danna View Post
    Jan 01--All new spreadsheet created and done for the New Year. Made a whole different buget that does NOT allow for dipping into savings for Home Maintenance and Replacements. It is save or wait my new motto!
    Your Save or Wait motto will serve you well. That's been our way of life since 2003. Our net worth has gone up 448% and our liabilities ZERO!

You CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danna View Post
    Made a whole different buget that does NOT allow for dipping into savings for Home Maintenance and Replacements
    It is save or wait my new motto!
    I like this idea!

We've tried to be proactive in some replacements, though. For example, we replaced our water heater last year (even though it appeared to be in good condition) because it was 17 years old and we thought it could save us money to choose the heater and the plumber rather than settle for whoever could give us hot water sooner (not to mention not cleaning up a failed heater). We plan to do the same with the furnace (if not the air conditioner). Cosmetic stuff? Yes, that's pay-as-we-go.

Frugals so far:
    - Decided to stay in for New Year's Eve. I bought some frozen seafood for NYE dinner at home. We had talked about buying crab legs or such (many places had them on sale) but crab legs are at least half shells; why pay that much for "packaging"? Cheap celebration.
    - The rest of this week's meals (minus a few staples) is coming from the freezer, so the supermarket bill this week was pretty low.
    - No drive/no nothing yesterday. DW and I had a chat about our budget and goals for the year so I feel we're more aligned going forward.

Not bad for just a day into the new year...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Neighborhood drug store was closing out their inventory of Christmas merch. I picked up an "Athene" Amaryllis with growing medium and ceramic pot (from Portugal) for $7. Originally priced at $20, it had already been marked down once before to $8.

Williamsmith
    I picked up a giant bottle of Makers Mark at the local state liquor store. 1.75 liters which is by my estimate looking like a half gallon and feeling like it as it is carried. The typical size of 750 ml is priced at about half that which in my frugal mind means I get approximately 250 ml for free. Now if I consume it at its regular rate and do not increase the frequency simply because it’s readily available.....well then I have done a frugal thing. I used a gift card to subsidize the extra cost so that added savings. My wife, gazed into the pantry and upon seeing the size of the bottle exclaimed, “My God. What have you done?” I must admit my frugality did look a bit like gluttony. But after an explanation, she seemed to calm
    down.

After a sampling of the bourbon, we were off to the movie theatre. No I don’t usually drink prior to a showing but I was anxious to get that free 250 ml out of the way. And after all, it was 7 degrees outside. Arriving at the door to the theatre we noticed a sign taped to the glass announcing a broken projector and the cancellation of every scheduled showing of our chosen movie....”Downsizing”. We turned around and headed back home. Savings......$11. One dollar for the popcorn!

At home we had leftover pork, sauerkraut, peas and applesauce. Did not eat out. Savings...anywhere from $25 -$30;ish dollars.

Today was a mammoth day of frugality.

Amaryllis and bourbon - those frugals really rock! "but I was anxious to get that free 250 ml out of the way" - sometimes you crack me up, Williamsmith!

Jan 02
    Steven I totally agree with you that getting ahead of some things are way better then waiting till it is an emergency and,
    that is what I have done in the last 5 years with roof, furnace and air conditioning. But, these on top of many things
    like all new flooring, some painting, new TV, new computer that maybe could have waited but, I wanted.
    A long with a couple of things that I didn't forsee and like a fridge and new stove have all led to the savings being way smaller then
    I would like it to be. Having said all that I have been putting money back in just not as quickly as I think I should....therefore 2018 will be Save and Selling of excess stuff.

Bourbon and amaryllis are Great frugal s.
    Mine for yesterday 1. a trip to the grocery store and only spent $10.00 that was a surprising amount of food that was all
    on mark down or on sale and using $5.00 in coupons and then getting another $3.00 on Checkout 51.
    Two bags of those lovely multi coloured potatoes, 2 jars of peanut butter, and 3 boxes of "Super Green Pasta" all for $7.00.
    2. Spot at the library while out to return books I had read over Christmas and pick up more----free
    3. Eat leftovers from New Year dinner and made a large pot of broth from the bones.
    That is all for now

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    No I don’t usually drink prior to a showing but I was anxious to get that free 250 ml out of the way.
    LOL!

Hello. I'm back. This looks like where I need to jump back in.
    1/1 no spend, stayed home
    1/2 $325 for rent of my RV space, $20 on groceries. I have found a good intersection of full hookups in a safe area I like and low price on rent, so I consider that a win. I'll be here until April 1. The food/groceries had some splurge, but it keeps me eating at home.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Thread Information