Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Yppej
    I am starting to get estimates on the 60,000 mile service for my car, not from the crummy local dealership. I emailed two out of town dealerships and also have a couple of independents I can try. The warranty is expired but there is a safety recall on the stopper pad so I am leaning towards a dealer.

Sold another $100 item. That's about $400 sold.

Got my income tax refund today. I'd filed online via TurboTax about 10 days ago. It went straight into savings, as did the $400 earned from selling items.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Got my income tax refund today. I'd filed online via TurboTax about 10 days ago. It went straight into savings, as did the $400 earned from selling items.
    That was quick. I filed last year on a paper 1040 EZ. Since my income sources are extremely simple, I have made the adjustment to receive only a small refund. This discourages anyone who is into the IRS fraud from being interested in early filing fraudulently in my name. They couldn’t get a cheap bottle of wine on my refund. And I prefer not to let the government save my money for me.

Yppej
    I wish I could file. I still have not received one of my W2s.

Cheapest furnace cleaning man has not called me back so I am moving on to the second cheapest place and will see if they call back.

Only one of the two dealerships responded with a price quote. They want $550.00 for an oil change, cabin air filter, engine filter, and "coolant and transmission fluids".Note they did not say flush, so it could be a top off. The owner's manual does not specify it is a flush either. I think this is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Only one of the two dealerships responded with a price quote. They want $550.00 for an oil change, cabin air filter, engine filter, and "coolant and transmission fluids".Note they did not say flush, so it could be a top off. The owner's manual does not specify it is a flush either. I think this is too expensive.
    I agree, even if they're flushing the old fluid. Even for my car, which requires synthetic oil and for which transmission fluid is "lifetime" (defined as 100,000 miles), such a service wouldn't come to half of that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Sitting in my car and eating a grocery store salad, as I was lazy this morning and wanted to reward myself with lunch out. Second guessed the lunch out for both money and nutrition, so here I sit.

Yppej
    I got another estimate for $100.00 more from the second dealership. I am emailing the first dealership as some of the services they say are needed are for severe usage and I have normal usage. Already I have gotten them to say $20 off no tire rotation (place I bought them from will do this for free), $70 off to not clean the brakes (replaced recently) and $90 off for no coolant flush.

Jan 09 to Jan 31
    The rest of the month has been very frugal mostly except the heat which I have come to the
    conclusion life is not worth it if I am too cold and this as been one cold winter here.

I KNOW that over the years, months, and days of posting here I have had an on going theme of eating down and I said 2018 would be the YEAR!
    Dd and I sat down and had a good talk about why it keeps piling up and came to some conclusions.

Also, 2018 seems like it is going to be my year for conclusions....lol
    To give us credit I have lost some weight( and am eating healthier due it health issues) and she has lost a large amount and has bad gastric issues (special diet now)
    so we eat way differently and way less. BUT, we are still shopping like we did before.
    And, we are great bargain shoppers very good at the deals.

So we have challenged ourselves to only buy a few fresh salads, and milk till March 31. What is left in the big freezer that doesn't fit in the 2 smaller ones is going
    to be donated or gasp tossed.
    I know that is radical but, (if it languishing in there it is garbage) I would like to get down to just having the 2 fridges in the house,
    right now we each have our own fridge and share a large freezer.
    The one fridge needs to be replaced and I will replace it with a larger one later.
    I actually made a loaf of bread this week and it was good. Because of course I had all the ingredients in the house.
    We don't even need a lot of fruit and veggies because I put lots down in the fall. Lots of meat!
    The idea is that having a consequence seems to be making us look at what we have and make meals with that instead of buying more.
    So far so good almost no spend on food in the last two weeks.

Mostly just the same things on all other fronts. And, as amazing as this is when you spend way less in a month the bank accounts looks so much better!

This month's power (electric and gas) bill came in about 15% lower than usual for this time of year. I think pursuing lights left on and keeping the thermostat down made the difference.

I've noticed our freezer is getting full of bargains; time to take advantage of them and use them up. I've been really good about making omelets/frittatas/soup/salads/snacks out of odds and ends in the fridge and freezer so we're not wasting that (good thing because our compost bin is full).

Repainting a couple of rooms and surveyed what's on the shelves in the basement; besides paint, I don't have to buy a thing (no sandpaper, no rollers, no tack cloth). I'm sure I would have picked up some duplicates had I gone to the hardware store without checking.

Don't think I mentioned this earlier; newspaper delivery for DW was due again with yet another price increase. It's a fairly stiff premium to have the paper thrown in the general vicinity of our front door every weekend. So I called and asked them what they could do about the price. We got half-again the subscription length for what we were paying (the old price).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information