Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Yppej
    I have been using the money I got for Christmas and birthday on needs not wants. Last year due to the triple whammy of a new job with a totally different dress code, weight gains and years of not buying clothes (with a fair amount of what I owned being too young for me) I spent $1734.19 on clothes, but this year so far only $10 when our motel did not have laundry facilities and I ran short on clean underwear. It had gone from necessity to retail therapy but I think I am cured.

Good work on the clothes, Yppej. That was always an area where I was really, really bad. i used to spend thousands of dollars at Talbot's every year. I have really reined it in the past couple of years, but changed sizes which means I still spent quite a bit ($1127 in 2017 and $1119 in 2016, but double that in 2015 and did not track before that so I'm sure it was even worse). I am challenging myself to stay within $300 in 2018, which I know is still a lot by many peoples' standards, but would be an amazing accomplishment for me. This should be very do-able since I no longer need a corporate wardrobe and I have a lot of good clothing that fits me.
    Now that I'm retired, DH and I are going grocery shopping together early Friday mornings before he goes to work (he used to go alone on Sat afternoon). This is turning out to be a frugal, because I'm pretty disciplined about sticking to the list, and sure you can get a couple of fun extras, but no spending $15 on sugary crap! We are consistently coming in under budget and bringing home more good food. The store is pretty empty at 7 AM on a weekday, and we "divide and conquer," so he picks out cat food while I zip over and grab the dental floss, for example. We are in and out within 30 minutes!
    I can't remember if I mentioned it, but I've picked up a housekeeping gig for a friend of the family, one day every other week for pretty decent money. I figure this can fund recreational items like concert tickets and theater tickets, etc.

We went grocery shopping Friday morning, the old people’s time to go, and we ran into two of our neighbors there, also retired. We love the Off Hours shopping ability!

Yppej
    I always wished my SOs would go grocery shopping with me but it only happened when I was pregnant. Oh for someone to run for the thing you forgot so you don't have to give up your place in the checkout line!

-My DH does all the grocery shopping and my ex did too. I hate to grocery shop. I do make the list however.

TT: That was our system until recently.

I love grocery shopping! Since I rarely shop - period, it is pretty much my only outlet for purchases. I love making a list, getting digital coupons, searching out sales and seeing how far under (or over) budget I end up.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Williamsmith
    My wife and I have an agreement. She has two part time jobs. I do everything else. Which includes shopping. I don’t mind it because it allows me to practice being frugal. Coupons. Smarter purchases. Last time I saved 8 dollars on an $80 bill. The cashiers are usually pretty impressed with my savings.

We love grocery shopping together, but then we work at home, so it gives us something fun to do outside the house.
    There is a starbucks in one of the grocery stores, so sometimes we treat ourselves and drink a coffee at the table and do something civilized like writing Christmas cards, all outside of the house--if you work at home, you know what I mean.
    The other store is fun because of the great bulk food section, and we try to figure out cheaper ways to use that option for things like buckwheat pancakes.

I think we lead pretty boring lives, when this is our excitement!

Update on the amaryllis bulb I bought 0n 1/2/18. Now the plant is blooming after being on the sun porch for 19 days. I have moved it upstairs to a spot where it will receive much less direct sunlight ... to prolong the time it is in bloom.

I put cedar shavings on top of the growing medium. The "bird" is the remains of a Christmas tree decoration which broke, and I rescued from the trash.

000_0217 (2).jpg

Thread Information