Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

I stayed in NYE and Day, too. I set up my new spreadsheets, crunched numbers, and resolved to do better this year. Not that I was naughty last year; I just want to set aside more savings THIS year.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith
    My wife, gazed into the pantry and upon seeing the size of the bottle exclaimed, “My God. What have you done?” I must admit my frugality did look a bit like gluttony.
    It's not like bourbon spoils... Good find there, William!

Yesterday's frugals were 1) a stop at my favorite Asian supermarket for what we consider staples. Cheaper than buying them at the co-op or the better supermarkets that carry them. Also looked over their wide selection of meat that goes beyond the usual. I'm trying to branch out to lesser-known (or lesser-loved) parts to use more of the animal (and maybe to economize a little, though they don't just throw these parts at you like they used to 20-30 years ago; this idea is catching on).

2) was installing a new part on our vacuum; it holds the wand and is an integral part of the suction system. The old piece broke from age and use, which left us (I) tightening the connection continually to maintain suction. The part (plus shipping) wasn't cheap for what it is (cast plastic) but it was far cheaper than buying another vacuum and it keeps this one (probably close to 15 years old) going.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I had a frugal fail last night. I bought some pork carnitas a couple of weeks ago thinking that I would experiment with them in my Instant Pot. I didn't do anything with them and at the last minute just put the package in the freezer. When I cooked them finally last night they just didn't smell right. I ended up trashing them. I feel badly about the waste. I need to only buy what I will cook, and then actually do it before the food spoils.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Years-long divorce-related financial hemorrhaging has finally stopped with recent year-end completion of divorce. Yahoo! I think there will be one more monthly bill from my lawyer but the worst is over. Taking stock of what's left and working on getting back on track. Started up my YMOYL spreadsheet as of Jan 1. The divorce/custody process was so stressful and exhausting that, in addition to the astronomical costs of the divorce itself, a lot was spent on things like eating out because just couldn't deal with making dinner, unnecessary "comfort" foods, also tons of therapy for the kids and myself, etc., but all of that is also tapering off significantly.
    Have been using the ideas/suggestions obtained in response to another thread I posted to save money on meals on-the-go. Cleaned all the pantry shelves (due to mouse invasion) and found some things back there that I forgot about that were good for a few meals (e.g., a mason jar filled with dried beans and spices for a five bean soup that was a Christmas present years ago). Have crockpot that ex bought but I have hardly used previously -- scaring up some recipes for that both for at-home dinners and to load into thermoses for meals after sports practices.
    Need to replace a window that was finally determined to be the source of a stubborn leak -- hope this will finally fix it, this has been a years-long and costly detective story. So, a big outlay, but hopefully this will be "frugal" in the long run.
    Weaning myself off/reducing frequency of going to cafe to work (and eating there), which I do for some human contact occasionally since I work alone from home. Plan to go to yoga more often instead--about the same cost, still social, and much healthier.

Jan 03 & 04
    --Made the big pot of soup and had it for supper yesterday and breakfast today
    --a trip to store for Sirlion Top roasts at 3.77 a lb. bought two will cook both tomorrow and freeze in 4 oz. pkg.,
    two bags of shrimp at $6 each and a few more specials lots of good stuff to add to what I have in stock piles. And, didn't spend a lot.
    Unfrugal but maybe not, This store was Loblaws and I love their Christmas stuff and what was left was on at 90% off.
    Decor, gift bags, gift tags, boxes, lots of ribbon, Christmas cracker (not the ones you eat the ones that pull apart) gift paper, 6 ornaments that will be gifts
    most of the paper and ribbon can be used year round all for $15.00,
    --volunteered and bought lunch and snack
    --
    --

Jan 03 & 04
    --Made the big pot of soup from chicken carcasses and had it for supper yesterday and breakfast today
    --a trip to store for Sirlion Top roasts at 3.77 a lb. bought two will cook both tomorrow and freeze in 4 oz. pkg.,
    two bags of shrimp at $6 each and a few more specials lots of good stuff to add to what I have in stock piles. And, didn't spend a lot.
    Unfrugal but maybe not, This store was Loblaws and I love their Christmas stuff and what was left was on at 90% off.
    Decor, gift bags, gift tags, boxes, lots of ribbon, Christmas cracker (not the ones you eat the ones that pull apart) gift paper, 6 ornaments that will be gifts
    most of the paper and ribbon can be used year round all for $15.00,
    --volunteered took lunch and snacks and coffee with me.
    --
    --

We are collecting furniture for a second house and will get only free or nearly-free stuff because, hey, I have a truck and a husband, so free furniture presents no challenge, I am just worried about bedbugs.

so, yesterday on Nextdoor a woman posted about giving away two free chairs. They were neutral in color and looked fine. I didnt recognize her name. We contacted her and offered to pay her $35 membership fee in our neighborhood association, and she was tickled about that.

well, we pulled up to her house and found she is someone we knew pretty well years ago, we had drifted apart since then. She was using a shorted version of her name and her new surname from marriage. It was great to catch up with her, and we moved a table from her garage into the house for her as additional payment.

Iris you have to love it when a trade accomplishes so much! What a lovely win, win for you all.

In conversation with DSIS, I learned that she actually puts that 1 inch stripe of toothpaste on her brush whenever she brushes (just like on TV), and she rinses, lathers and repeats when she washes her hair (although she is a nurse and her hair doesn't get particularly dirty). She pointed out to me how it isn't really beneficial to shampoo my hair every day, so we will be saving lots on toiletries between us!
    Turkey soup again the other night, and DH made a pizza last night.
    I had received a bottle of delightful local, small-batch whiskey for a retirement gift, and I picked up a bottle of bitters so that we can try making old-fashions at home. Those cost $12 - $14 per drink at a nice restaurant, so yes, I am calling this a frugal!

This week:
    - have not been in a grocery store but once since the year started (frugal of money and time; the one time was a stock-up run for stuff that was cheaper at that store). I'll have to go out today for some staples but it won't be a big bill -- all the protein for the week is still coming out of the freezer. Yeah, that's a bit of a shell game financially, but stuff is in the freezer because we got a deal on it, so I'll count it as frugal.
    - as part of a product-evaluation program I received a free patio umbrella and concrete base which will be nice whenever (if ever) spring gets here. We have an umbrella but it's suffering from old age. Bonus: this umbrella is much nicer than our existing one.
    - donating blood over the holidays netted me a long-sleeved T-shirt that I'll actually wear outside of the donation center.
    - have been evaluating those pesky automatic monthly credit-card charges to see if we can eliminate ones we don't use (or don't use much). For example, we subscribe to CBS' TV streaming application but we watch maybe a show or two a month on it. At that price we might be better off renting what we watch off iTunes or ... ??
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information