Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January Frugals

Steve, I have got to eat down our freezer some because it is ridiculously packed, and some vegetables have been there 3 years. So certainly anything coming out of the freezer counts as frugal!

I want a long sleeved tshirt and actually shopped for one at the thrift store this week. I dont want a sweater or sweatshirt, they are too heavy. I want tshirt fabric.

Yppej
    I have been very unfrugal. I took my son for an 8 day, 7 night trip to South Texas, total cost $2364.94. I bought and paid for the airline tickets last summer, but the rest I accrued for bit by bit and am paying for this month. I did not touch savings.

Maybe I am getting old, but it was not one of my better trips. I think I would have both gotten more enjoyment and spent less by vacationing closer to home. I had not flown since 2003 and had not dealt with a rental car except locally in the aftermath of auto accidents in 30 years. Transportation was a hassle, and I plan to stick with road trips east of the Mississippi going forward. The attractions were good and I did escape one snowstorm and some subzero temperatures but the motel was not as advertised and downscale. DS's OCD was also an issue, and we spent a lot of time driving around looking for very specific personal care and other products he insisted he needed but couldn't take on the plane because of TSA requirements.

Does anyone else do the travel equivalent of locavore eating?

Yppej: I don't think a long-planned and budgeted trip is necessarily unfrugal. I'm sorry it wasn't more fun, but at least you missed one hell of a blizzard! I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question about " the travel equivalent of locavore eating," but we definitely keep our travels local and haven't left New England in 20 years. It always felt like the logistics would make it more work than play, and there are so many beautiful places in our area that it doesn't feel like a hardship to stay nearby. We can take whatever we want in our car, and the road trip itself can be fun. Plus it is cheaper!
    The original impetus was the inability to smoke on airplanes, but that hasn't been a factor for the past 6 years. The only reason I could see us going farther afield at this point would be to visit family. We do have some folks in CA, TX, and NC.
    Well anyway, welcome back to snowy Massachusetts!

Yppej
    Thank you Rosa. Yes, that is exactly the question I was asking about travel. I do want to stay more local. I have family in Michigan so that probably is as far afield as I will go, and I will do that in the summer and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I have been very unfrugal. I took my son for an 8 day, 7 night trip to South Texas, total cost $2364.94. I bought and paid for the airline tickets last summer, but the rest I accrued for bit by bit and am paying for this month. I did not touch savings.

Maybe I am getting old, but it was not one of my better trips. I think I would have both gotten more enjoyment and spent less by vacationing closer to home. I had not flown since 2003 and had not dealt with a rental car except locally in the aftermath of auto accidents in 30 years. Transportation was a hassle, and I plan to stick with road trips east of the Mississippi going forward. The attractions were good and I did escape one snowstorm and some subzero temperatures but the motel was not as advertised and downscale. DS's OCD was also an issue, and we spent a lot of time driving around looking for very specific personal care and other products he insisted he needed but couldn't take on the plane because of TSA requirements.

Does anyone else do the travel equivalent of locavore eating?
    After our trip West, I told DH we will nt be going West again. Well,
    I would fly to two specific places, Santa Fe and San Francisco, but that’s it. And we have friends in California and soon in Arizona and wont visit them, sorry! I do not like dry Brownland much.

Also, no more car trips where driving is more than 12 hours.

Yppej, we went to Rockport Tx near Corpus Christi decades ago and it was fun and charming, but my brother tells me it has been built up extensively since then so I suppose it isnt as down home as it was back then.

Some of our best vacations have been within a not-too-distant drive. There's still plenty of the world I'd like to see but I so dislike the entire air-flight experience (not scared; annoyed) that it does a job on a vacation even before we arrive. I much prefer the flexibiity of going where we want when we want and being able to choose from options up until we arrive at the front door of wherever it is.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    After our trip West, I told DH we will nt be going West again. Well,
    I would fly to two specific places, Santa Fe and San Francisco, but that’s it. And we have friends in California and soon in Arizona and wont visit them, sorry! I do not like dry Brownland much.

Also, no more car trips where driving is more than 12 hours.

Yppej, we went to Rockport Tx near Corpus Christi decades ago and it was fun and charming, but my brother tells me it has been built up extensively since then so I suppose it isnt as down home as it was back then.
    We were in Rockport last February. It was great. I understand it was hit hard by the hurricane and flooding and basically decimated.

Yppej
    I made it to Corpus Christi and Padre Island but Mustang Island was still closed due to hurricane damage.

Steve!!! Guess what DH came home with? A long sleeved tshort from the Red Cross! He gave blood today and got the tshirt which he turned over to me. So yay, I got my long sleeved tshirt.

Jan05,06,07, &08
    --Finished up the pot of soup
    --supper for the last two nights were yummy leftovers from the freezer
    --exercise came from shoveling....lol
    --mostly stuck in so I have been reading library books, magazine picked up for next to nothing at yard sales in the summer
    that is thinking ahead.
    --Trying to not turn the heat up too much but, that has been a hard one. Dressing in layers around the house to keep warm.
    --cleaned out the fridge and freezer so I know what i have on hand.

Thread Information