Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hot Spots"

"Hot Spots"

Plan on extended travel in February. I have an IPad that I would like to use for internet. I hear that a "hot spot" accessory would be good. I know absolutely nothing about this. I do have a TracPhone and will probably have to get a cell phone to hook up to this so it is more secure??? Is this how it works?

Is it secure if I stream from a hotel's Wi-fi ... such as Netflix or do I need to use a hotspot.

Any clarification would be appreciated. frugal-one

I dont know about your questions, but my public library is now offering Hot Spots to check out for three weeks. Since I have an IPAD I would love to have wifi available everywhere I go.

You only need a hotspot if your ipad is wifi only, and you are away from the hotel wifi (or other stationary wifi). If your ipad has cellular, you won't need a hotspot.

You may want a VPN though, if you plan on accessing any information you want to keep private. (I don't use a vpn when travelling, but I don't access financial or other sensitive sites while travelling- unless its for work. My work computer has a VPN app we must use.)

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dont know about your questions, but my public library is now offering Hot Spots to check out for three weeks. Since I have an IPAD I would love to have wifi available everywhere I go.
    I checked earlier and my library no longer loans them out. I don’t know why. Is this secure?

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    You only need a hotspot if your ipad is wifi only, and you are away from the hotel wifi (or other stationary wifi). If your ipad has cellular, you won't need a hotspot.

You may want a VPN though, if you plan on accessing any information you want to keep private. (I don't use a vpn when travelling, but I don't access financial or other sensitive sites while travelling- unless its for work. My work computer has a VPN app we must use.)
    My Ipad is Wifi only. So if I use a hotel wifi my understanding is that this is not secure and could be hacked? What is VPN and where do I get it? I remember having it when I worked but do not really understand. Appreciate clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post

Well, my IPAd is set up for AT and
    t, but I dont have a cellular contract for a smart phone. I guess I say this:
    I dont have a data contract. We think we can set up DHKs Apple cell phone to be a hot spot, but
    I am not sure how that will work, si ce he doesnt have AT and T.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'hot spot accessory'. A hotspot is any public Wi-Fi spot, such as a hotel, restaurant, library or coffee shop which provides a Wi-Fi connection for their patrons. A smartphone may also be configured as a hotspot, enabling it to share it's data connection with another Wi-Fi enabled device such as your iPad.

If using a public Wi-Fi hotspot, I wouldn't worry about security unless I were logging into my bank account or some other service where I'm exchanging personal information with the destination point. If you're simply surfing the web or watching Netflix videos, there's no real security concerns other than someone possibly capturing your Netflix login info. I use public Wi-Fi at RV parks and other business venues all the time without issue.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I am going to be gone for an extended time. I want to be able to securely access bank information. I think I might need a hotspot accessory for my iPad to connect to a cell phone???? ... or can I just go to a cellular place and have cellular service placed on my iPad? Think I will call a local cellular company and ask a bunch of questions. I really don't understand.

Alan, This is an example of hotspot accessory:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mobile-...at184700050008

Good to know that Netflix and surfing will not be a problem.

Choosing a Mobile Hotspot
    Having Internet on the go for all your devices seems like more of a necessity than a luxury these days. Whether you’re a travelling for business, getting work done at a coffee shop, or enjoying e-books and music on the beach, a mobile hotspot means you can access the Internet on your laptop or tablet without needing a nearby Wi-Fi signal. With a hotspot, Wi-Fi is available for any devices you give permission to, so as long as you have a cellular signal for your hotspot, it’s like having your own personal portable Wi-Fi.

How will you use your mobile hotspot?
    Something to keep in mind is that if you aren’t going to use your mobile hotspot that often, many phones with plans can be used as a Wi-Fi hotspot. But since this will tap into your current data plan, you may not want to use a smartphone as your primary hotspot if you need to use it often or for heavy Internet use. Also remember, using phones as hotspots will use up battery power much faster than simply accessing the Internet directly through your Galaxy phone, iPhone, or other cell phone.

Hotspots and Various Devices
    If you plan on only using your mobile hotspot for connecting a computer to the Internet, a USB stick may serve you best. These plug directly into your laptop and provide a faster connection than separate Wi-Fi hotspots. They are also more portable.

If, on the other hand, you plan on connecting lots of different devices and some of them don’t have USB ports, a standalone Wi-Fi hotspot is the way to go. These will let you connect multiple devices at the same time. Plus, they usually work without loading any software onto your devices so they’re ideal for sharing Internet with others while away from other Wi-Fi sources

How about tethering you device to your phone?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information