Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I managed today

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    SNOW DAY!

i didn’t realize how badly I needed a snow day until I saw the notice and felt the tension leave my body.

in the 4 interrupted weeks of class since thanksgiving, I have added 5 new students who need to be oriented mid curriculum, dealt with multiple student absences involving make up/catch up work and requiring a lot if individual planning, had to “reapply” for my job (which involves turning in a rather thought intensive packet of proposed curriculum and scheduling), started evaluations, and had the annual school art show (a big event for me) moved up 6 weeks.
    Im sorry if I’ve missed it but what age are your students? And also, do you have emotional support students integrated?

Ages 5-18. If you can get to the classroom by yourself and create only minimal disruptions for other students, you can be in my class.

(Edited for too much ranting and detail.)
    Last edited by Chicken lady; 1-12-18 at 2:57pm.

Well, we’re starting late today, but it’s back I go after a lovely long weekend. My inner hermit is bracing for the peopleness of it all.

i could have accomplished a lot more while I was home, but honestly, it was nice to just take a vacation.

Williamsmith
    Well, I hope you have “minimal disruptions.” My wife cringes as she has up to 13 disturbed children of elementary age who are quite capable of spitting on you, cussing you out with the f word, kicking you and threatening to kill you. All because you ask them to do a tinsy bit of work. The only education they get is in the school yard when someone bigger than them bloodies their lip. How has it gotten to this?

Wow. Ok, I do not have those kids. Some cussing, but not at me or classmates. I had one kid who bit somebody, and I have another kid who can only be in older groups and supervised because he is literally incapable of not blurting out what he’s thinking, and he’s 16, so you can guess what he’s thinking most of the time....

both kids are social services removed adoptions whose mothers were taking drugs during their pregnancies. The biter was moved back and forth between birth parents and 5 different foster placements before parental rights were terminated and he was adopted at age 6. so there is one of the ways we came to this.....

Edited to add: one of the things that makes it interesting is that in the same classes, I also have kids who will graduate early, attend Ivy League colleges, join the military, go to technical schools, or possibly have careers in the arts - based on the fact that they are with me because their rehearsal/performance schedule doesn’t fit with “school”. Some of my older kids are already working part time in chosen fields. Some are medically fragile. Some fit multiple categories.

CL: I am confused as to the purpose of this thread. Is it just to keep you accountable? It seems like in the past suggestions were not welcomed as things you intend to do are set in stone.

It is to help me look at where I am spending my time and what impact different decisions have on that. To help me take an honest look. For example - currently exercising, losing marginal weight, more energy in the morning, feel like I have less at night. Not doing pottery. Marginal housework. Working on evaluations - which is an extenuating circumstance, but there is always an extenuating circumstance. Dh has been doing more cooking.

so I don’t so much want suggestions as observations and questions - suggestions tend to be based on other people’s experience “I find it easier to plan meals do all my shopping for the week on Tuesday. You should try that instead of all these stops after work” vs. “you seemed a lot happier about food when you were snowed in and scrounging for dinner. Could you use that experience to plan some weeks based mostly on staples and minimize your shopping?”

maybe be those two things sound the same to you, but they sound completely different to me, because my life experience makes “plan meals and do all your shopping” sound like a complicated and intricate challenge likely to result in hours of cooking and inevitable food waste. Whereas the second one is like “if I have potatoes, onions, eggs, noodles, rice, nuts, and beans, what’s the minimum I need to make 4 healthy meals?”

also, I just thought of the food thing while trying to give you an example. So, helpful question!

and then I got sidetracked talking about work....

i had 2 students today. Literally. 2. we don’t offer transportation.

Today is a don’t exercise day. (Just go up and down the stairs at work a bunch of times)

after work I need to do a big grocery shop. I have a list of all the things we ran out of.

also, I need chicken breasts, broccoli, beets and Brussels sprouts. That will cover dinner for the rest of the week.

I realized this this morning that while I was having my vacation, laundry and dishes got completely out of control (I had to sort through a pile of clean laundry to find dh underwear)

key items for today:
    chores
    teach 4 classes
    groceries
    fire
    dinner
    laundry
    dishes
    chores
    evaluations

in order by schedule/importance

So, here is how this went:

chores - done
    teach 4 classes - done
    groceries - done and put away
    fire - done
    dinner - done
    laundry - did enough to be good for tomorrow and Friday
    dishes - did enough for tomorrow
    chores - done
    evaluations - nope.

tired and cooked, going to bed very soon and no evaluations will happen tonight. I’m not sure how that is going to turn out. (Worst case, they are late and I get my pay docked.)

i looked at my list for tolmorrow. I’m not going to post it. I’m not going to finish it either.

Thread Information