Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I managed today

Williamsmith
    CL, you might appreciate this.....my wife came home with a little more zip in her step today. She said she had a good day because so many of her students were out of class today she only had four. The rest were suspended! She said she walked past the Principles Office and stuck her head in, “Hey thanks for the gift today!”

I understand your wife’s position, but for me, it just breaks my heart when they get suspended. I’m all about their parents taking some of them on vacations though!

here is what I got through today:
    30 minutes on the exercise bike, build fire, breakfast, pack lunches, chores, charge phone (and remember phone), pack (and remember) swim bag, shower, wash a load of laundry, pick up packages at post office, load the school kiln, lunch duty, sub during my planning period, class, swim (and shower again), pick up forgotten/unavailable at store yesterday groceries, rebuild fire, put away groceries, dry laundry, cook easy dinner, partly unload dishwasher, eat, chores, 8 evaluations.

More dishes to do, food to put away, more evaluations to do, planning to do for classes tomorrow. Dh is setting up the coffee for me for morning. I’m thinking my best bet might be put food away and go to bed. Do the best I can on the other stuff in the morning.

I had forgotten this thread. Two months later, very little has changed. I had a long list of things I wanted to accomplish on my break last week and have done only a couple.

what I have done is skip exercising all week, snack too much, mess up my sleep schedule, and gain 4 lbs. all in the name of “resting.” (There is a Bill Cosby skit about people getting wasted on the weekends and looking forward to Monday because “i’m no good on my own.”) the time change didn’t help.

this morning I set my alarm for 7 because I have been sleeping too late and having trouble going to sleep at night (dh was sick Th/f so I didn’t have to get up to make him breakfast) and i’m about to be on a schedule again.

i sat down with a fresh, hot cup of coffe, which I set on the tray dh has been using for a table on the arm of the couch. The tray is about 4” wider than the arm of the couch. The cat habitually jumps into my lap in the morning/for cuddles while I drink my coffee. This morning he tried to get there by way of the tray, overbalanced it, and soaked both of us, my bathrobe, and the couch cushion with scalding hot coffee. I just wanted to cry because I already have too much to do today (as always)

ahh, yes. This is a good thread. I took off work early yesterday and had a DR appointment. I HAVE done so many important thing, like buy cat food but wander the store for 30 minutes also, clean old food out of the fridge, crochet a lot under the impression I was preparing to teach my class, and pass 3 levels of Toon Blast! Dude some of those levels I had to try many times (you get a new life every 30 minutes up to 5).

What I didn't do was write a new resume and cover letter for a dream job, vacuum, do a few essential work tasks that were simple,

I will disagree on the Monday thing however, I have spend many weekends mildly ill from stress and exhaustion so I feel no guilt about some of my weekends.

The Monday thing was an acknowledgement that in the absence of outside structure, I make decisions that are bad for me - like staying up too late and eating crap. I would never eat crap on a school day (until after 5) because the kids would see me.

i have done my chores, cooked a healthy breakfast to share with dh, started the dishwasher (including the last plastic drawer of the set that has been loitering in the garage for months), and started a fire. Next up, compost and laundry.

If all your time was unstructured you would learn how to manage it. I did once i retired. However, you have so many home tasks that I think you could easily fill your time productively.

Good point about being home and structure, Teacher. I just finished 6 hours of teaching this morning--I routinely get up around six and work til I am done, and then start my "real" day, but that rough structure does remain, because it evolved into a way to do the unpleasant first and then get to do what I want to do. I do work on Saturdays as well as M-F, but go off around noon on Saturday so that I have some weekend.

Tybee, it sounds like your class is a lot more structured then mine or maybe you teach more then one class. All my lecture notes are online so I grade and then respond to emails, calls from students and post items to stay in touch with the students. I get on my class when I want too. I don't have to respond on weekends at all but I do anyways unless I am out.

Yeah, I teach at two schools right now and have a load of four courses at once. But the work itself is as you describe, I just like to knock it out early, the check in again with students for emails later in the day, and trying to limit it to once or twice at most later in the day, as I tend to overwork.

Compost, one load of laundry, found most of the paperwork for taxes, recycled a lot of paper.

Thread Information