Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A decor question - kitchen cabinets

ACK!!! Lazy susans in cupboards!!! I had them in a kitchen that I otherwise Loved, but I hated those cabinets. Things would fall over the edge, get stuck, it wouldn't rotate. Fortunately, GS2 was small enough to climb in there and straighten it all out for me every couple of weeks. My 88-yr-old mother has then in her house now, same problem, but no 4 yr old around to take care of it. Her are really deep, too. A real pain. my advice, Don't Do It.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    ACK!!! Lazy susans in cupboards!!! I had them in a kitchen that I otherwise Loved, but I hated those cabinets. Things would fall over the edge, get stuck, it wouldn't rotate. Fortunately, GS2 was small enough to climb in there and straighten it all out for me every couple of weeks. My 88-yr-old mother has then in her house now, same problem, but no 4 yr old around to take care of it. Her are really deep, too. A real pain. my advice, Don't Do It.
    And probably the kitchen consultant will tell her how much better these modern Lazy Susans are, theydo not break or bend or get stuck yadda yadda but guess what, they do.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    This (and other) comments about lazy susans surprises me. We've stored pots and pans in a lazy susan for the past 20+ years without problem. I like them!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I just don't have that many pots and pans that I need a $500 Susan cabinet for them to sit on and twirl around. Shelves will do for me. The KD said that buyers will want all these gizmos in a remodeled kitchen. So now we are in tiny house mode - set up in the 400sf basement while we hash all this out. It's kinda cozy.

We did an IKEA kitchen when I worked there in Chicago. I assembled the cabinets myself, while watching tv. It is not hard at all. You can also change the faces of them if you ever decide you want a different look--they were interchangeable.

I loved my IKEA kitchen and someday, I will get my forever house and have another one!

We used IKEA cabinets when we remodeled my mom's place. Surprisingly good quality for the money -- especially the hardware. I can see now that, ten years after installation, the cabinet fronts are showing their age (yellowing a little [that may just require a good cleaning], getting hit by wheelchairs, constant exposure to the dog's water bowl) but the boxes are sound. I did hire out the installation, but that was done because I had far more money than time at that time of my life.

Another plus is that IKEA cabinetry is so popular that a cottage industry has popped up around hacking the cabinets into configurations IKEA does not offer and even offering cabinet fronts IKEA no longer (or never) offered.

I'd do it again.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

IMG_1115.jpg

Here is a picture of Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard. I believe I posted pictures before a very long time ago. I just love this old thing, but DH thinks I'm crazy.

It'sBEAUTIFUL!!

Yppej
    Thanks for posting. It's bigger than I imagined. Looks like you can store quite a bit in it.

That is beautiful! Usually I choose light oak for cabinets but when we bought our 1950's house the only thing that did not need replacing was the cabinets. They had a natural maple and it is pretty. It is light which is good in our dark, galley kitchen. They also had the laundry in the kitchen-ugh! We took it out and put it in the garage. I then needed more cabinets. I took the door and drawer to Home Depot and got a exact match on the design and mostly match on color.
    What my DH did was mix in the few new cabinets among the old and then you could not tell the color was slightly off.

Thread Information