Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A decor question - kitchen cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    I see gray kitchen cabinets almost everywhere lately - on TV, at friends re-do's, home building stores. I’ve had cheap brown (in a rental), green ‘antiqued’ (anyone remember the ‘antiquing’ era?), solid birch, solid maple and now painted white over maple. I like white best because it says old farmhouse to me. I am at a stage in life now that I just want clean cupboards and I am not so concerned about the color and material. I see that quartz has taken over granite as the choice for countertops. I have laminate counters with white cupboards. It looks fresh, clean and work for me.
    es, Goldensmon, I DO remember the antiquing era. 1970's? I antiqued anything that stood still. Including a beautiful old white cabinet, (I think they were called Hoosier Cabinets), that my grandmother had. I regret that to this day. As I got older I decided I didn't want to have anything (major) that gets too dated. When we built this house in 1994 I had white fixtures and appliances throughout. I have lived through the days of avocado green, harvest gold, etc. but white never goes out of style.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I don't think it is a one size answer personally. Lighting, size of kitchen, reason(s) for doing, layout all play a part. The bungalow's in my area, I have seen three houses that had original cabinets. Two of them in galley style kitchens (pine and douglas fir cabinets), which had been painted over the years originally and over the years. One of them the cabinets were painted wall color, the other a grey mix, where they used that old battleship grey, porch paint (using up what they had) and had the walls white with a touch of grey (tone on tone). One bungalow built much later, with a much larger L shaped kitchen, had white cabinets.
    In that last one, stained cabinets would not have looked out of place or made the kitchen seem smaller. In the first two, as mine, with galley style kitchens, lighter cabinets make more sense. I prefer shaker style doors (appropriate for my houses time frame, by examples), with white, or light wood cabinets. I saw pictures of one, years ago, that I remember they used knotty pine, because it was plentiful to that area, and went with sort of light oak stain.

If I had, had that larger kitchen, I might go true Cherry wood (turns more reddish over time), or true Walnut wood (or countertop on a island) with a painted island. But that is more because I like those woods, and grew up around too much maple (don't like), or darker Oak (prefer redder). I as a woodworker, would even consider using a secondary wood, of a darker nature, on a lighter cabinet. (pulls, trim, etc)

How nice reading about everyones kitchens. We have had old painted cabinets from the 40s a couple times. Had some really cheap cabinets in trailers back in the day. Refaced to an oak once and had solid oak a couple times as now. We had a new built four years ago, the cabinets were a dark almost black, they were terrible to keep clean, never again for me. I am happy with solid hard oak. I am scared to ever get anything else after the dark incident.

I will mention counter tops as it is our go to story when we talk way to much about an issue that we really could take care of but don't. We call it the $700 counter top story. We were living in the money pit, the old farm house that sucked the living paychecks from us weekly and all our sweat as it was a DIY as much as we could. Yet the counter top was an continuing issue. WE tried a few times with DIY, but it was an 1900 hand made kitchen with no sizing to modern cuts. Then one day I called a fellow and he cut a cheap counter top from stock Home Depot stock, it was new fresh and it was $700. After all the complaining and sweat, it was $700. Small change for the $$$ everything else cost. And the pain was over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    white never goes out of style.
    Exactly why I never buy anything but white cars. My DH and I both have white cars. Black is OK, but ironically, it looks dirtier than white when you don't get around to washing it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Exactly why I never buy anything but white cars. My DH and I both have white cars. Black is OK, but ironically, it looks dirtier than white when you don't get around to washing it.
    Boy Howdy is that not a fact! We've been an exclusive black car family for the past 25 years because we both like the way they look when they're clean. It's keeping them looking good that's the problem.

Oh, but to stay on topic, we've had white cabinets in our last 3 houses, going back 35 or so years. They're timeless.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    we both like the way they look when they're clean. It's keeping them looking good that's the problem.
    Exactly--We're not good at washing the road dust off black cars on a regular basis. White seems to hide dirt better. I'm all for hiding dirt. I've been known to match my furniture to my dogs' fur color for that very reason. So now you know my dirty little secrets!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Exactly--We're not good at washing the road dust off black cars on a regular basis. White seems to hide dirt better. I'm all for hiding dirt. I've been known to match my furniture to my dogs' fur color for that very reason. So now you know my dirty little secrets!
    Speaking of dirty cars, my latest (black) car is the smartest vehicle I've ever driven with it's front and rear facing cameras, automatic braking and lane control, etc. I recently discovered that if I let the road grime from snow & slush & salt accumulate on my rear camera, I can't back out of a parking space. The stupid car thinks there's something behind me and applies the brakes every time I try to back up.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Catherine, We matched our 80s kitchen floor to the dirt we track in...haven't had to scrub it much. Our car is silver and hides dirt excellently. Alan, That's funny about the camera. Tech may be taking us over.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We don't have cabinets, just a vintage cupboard but it is white; I have always liked white.
    Can you tell us more? Is your sink freestanding? Do you have countertops or just use tables to prepare food?

My falling apart cabinets are from the 1950's but replacing them would be so expensive, so I am interested in alternatives.

Our kitchen is badly in need of what I will call "modeling", because "remodeling" implies that something coherent was done previously. It is the only room we have not tackled in our nearly 33 years here; every other room was gutted and redone. The kitchen is like a Rubik's cube to be solved. It is small with 5 entry ways. There is "Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard," a freestanding Youngstown sink on an old metal cabinet, a stove, a refrigerator, and a wooden kitchen table and chairs. It drives DH crazy that there is no counter or counter height food prep surface. I adore OMHC and DH says "I just want a damned counter." I kind of love the sink too, but I'll be willing to let that go. We go around and around, and I can't quite decide if it is very sad or very funny. Whenever you think you've got a plan figured out, you realize you din't account for the refrigerator or the stove or one critical element. I will find and share some photos. I do think I finally have a plan worked out. It isn't perfect, but I think it will suffice and it would be nice to do something before we are dead!

Thread Information