Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A decor question - kitchen cabinets

Also to consider, and you probably know this, a shade just off of bright white is better for not showing smudges. Our cabinets are ivory, not white. I would even go more into the “yellow” zone into cream, but DH wants white.

Also, for keeping things clean: dont have cabinet pulls. Our cabinets have finger pulls carved into the inside. Pull hardware is just another way to collect grime. Also, our hinges are inside.

Here are our cabinets, built by DH in a project that took 4-5 years. The cabinet door are off in the first picture because they are being painted.

The house is a mid 60s tri-level with lots of sharp angles. I am drawn to Scandinavian style simplicity thus the light wood floors. There is one window over the sink and a huge skylight in the middle of the room so plenty of light. Also a sunroom off the kitchen. We are investigating all the RTA (flat-pack) cabinets out there due to lower cost but hard to find ones not made in China. There are an amazing amount of choices besides Ikea these days. Yes, an off white would be preferable rather than a stark white but also looking at a natural (no stain) shaker style for its simple lines. IL, your photo did not come through.

White is still very popular, but I've also seen a surge in "greige" (grey/beige). It's gives a very modern look, but it's still neutral.

http://www.hgtv.com/design/rooms/kit...rends-pictures

Gray is the New White

Wondering what color to paint your cabinets? The kitchen industry's leading manufacturers say that while white cabinets continue to be tops, gray is the shade they're betting on to break white's top spot. This kitchen by Wellborn pairs soft gray cabinets with richly stained wood showcasing yet another kitchen trend — combining cabinet colors is a trendy look that's holding strong. Image courtesy of Wellborn Cabinets.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    The house is a mid 60s tri-level with lots of sharp angles. I am drawn to Scandinavian style simplicity thus the light wood floors. There is one window over the sink and a huge skylight in the middle of the room so plenty of light. Also a sunroom off the kitchen. We are investigating all the RTA (flat-pack) cabinets out there due to lower cost but hard to find ones not made in China. There are an amazing amount of choices besides Ikea these days. Yes, an off white would be preferable rather than a stark white but also looking at a natural (no stain) shaker style for its simple lines. IL, your photo did not come through.
    Sorry, dont know why my photos dont show.

But clean lined Scando style in a light wood sounds lovely for your 60’s house. It sounds perfect, actually.

And I really really like catherine’s idea of grey, in general.

I jsut had a confab with DH and we now are going to renovate our stove/center island area, ugh, more money. I am leaving this in his capable hands, I dont care how it is configured or what kind of stove we get. We always get cheap stoves.

I never know what is "in, what the trends are, so what I am going to say may be hopelessly dated. I don't know. Our house was built in 1994 and the cabinets I picked out then are still in great shape and I still like them. I think they are called something like "bleached wood". Light, but not white. Someone here mentioned they liked hinges on the inside and the hinges of these cabinets are on the inside. They are pretty simple, and have stood up well. I have a friend who paints her kitchen cabinets every now and then. I think now she has some sort of gray on them. She is much more "house proud" than I am and keeps up with these things by watching HGTV etc.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Everyone on househunters these days wants white. If it’s going to be more than five years before you sell i’d go with black since white will undoubtedly be out of style by then the same way everyone hates granite countertops now.
    I am old and have lived through these white cabinet trends before, as well as the subsequent reactionary black ones.

No, dont do black. I know that jp is sorta kidding, but black is just wrong in a typical middle class house (can be fabulous if expensively done in the right setting, of course!) One of the most jarring things I have seen on my many tours of Realtor.com is an adorable old cottage with a new kitchen that used black cabinets. Ugh, so wrong and disrespectful to the house.

OP is on the right track for streamlined cabinets for her 60’s house.

I see gray kitchen cabinets almost everywhere lately - on TV, at friends re-do's, home building stores. I’ve had cheap brown (in a rental), green ‘antiqued’ (anyone remember the ‘antiquing’ era?), solid birch, solid maple and now painted white over maple. I like white best because it says old farmhouse to me. I am at a stage in life now that I just want clean cupboards and I am not so concerned about the color and material. I see that quartz has taken over granite as the choice for countertops. I have laminate counters with white cupboards. It looks fresh, clean and work for me.

We still have an 80s kitchen, vinyl floor in a tile pattern that shows NO dirt, oak cabinets that I still love, almond formica that I still love...white appliances except for the almond stove circa 1988 that replaced the avocado one. Our house has oak trim and floors so the kitchen fits right in. I would never go with gray just because I find it dreary and it would involve way too much work. But I have seen lovely crisp white with gray walls. I do like the idea of the bleached wood look. I don't know if it gets "dated", seems HGTV influences way too many decisions in house buying.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    We are replacing the 1980s falling apart kitchen cabinets in our house and haven't a clue what "color" to go with. Looking at decor sites like Houzz for ideas makes my head spin and I don't have a strong preference either way. Floor is natural oak wood floor. Some shade of wood or white? What say ye simple people? I don't think we'll be in this house for the long haul so it needs to appeal to the masses I guess.
    I saw some cabinets in a new build recently which were matte black bottom cabinets and ivory top cabinets.
    More traditional style than modern. Floors were very dark brown wood. They were nice.

Thread Information