Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A decor question - kitchen cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Catherine, We matched our 80s kitchen floor to the dirt we track in...haven't had to scrub it much. Our car is silver and hides dirt excellently.
    We did the same thing with our kitchen floor so much that I have to remember to clean it as it never looks dirty. Also, matched our living room carpet to our dogs hair. I schedule to vacuum everyday but if I miss a day the carpet still looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Speaking of dirty cars, my latest (black) car is the smartest vehicle I've ever driven with it's front and rear facing cameras, automatic braking and lane control, etc. I recently discovered that if I let the road grime from snow & slush & salt accumulate on my rear camera, I can't back out of a parking space. The stupid car thinks there's something behind me and applies the brakes every time I try to back up.
    Sorry, but that is hilarious. A drawback of modern technology. Around here (big Amish population) I have seen horses refuse to back up but never a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    es, Goldensmon, I DO remember the antiquing era. 1970's? I antiqued anything that stood still. Including a beautiful old white cabinet, (I think they were called Hoosier Cabinets), that my grandmother had. I regret that to this day. As I got older I decided I didn't want to have anything (major) that gets too dated. When we built this house in 1994 I had white fixtures and appliances throughout. I have lived through the days of avocado green, harvest gold, etc. but white never goes out of style.
    Yes, the 1970's. I 'antiqued' over beautiful solid birch kitchen cupboards for my parents, green to match the avocado green refrigerator. It was so cool back then. Some years later I labored to get the stuff off and back to the original birch wood. I cringed when I see HGTV shows doing 'mid-century' do-overs. Did not like it then, do not like it now. I do like the old farmhouse look, probably the folks that built our old farmhouse in 1903 wonder why.

We are now going back and forth about color of stove since we are renovating the island area of the kitchen and that configuration requires a new stove.

Stainless or white? Our refrigerator is white. I thought about stainless steel finish because ...I dont know, is that still top of trend? Mr. Google tells me it is ok to stick with white appliances. Now, IF we were going to use our exisitng refrigerator in our weekend house, I would get stainless steel finish in the new refrigerator here as well as the stove. But we do not need a new refrigerator.

As for flooring in the kitchen, we have light smokey grey tile and I love it, it has to be very dirty to show dirt.

Rosa, 5 doors is a problem for sure.

DH is going to buy a stove this week. i let him buy our appliances since I don't much care about them except for our last diswasher which I researched heavily because its predecessor was so awful.

we are apparently going to have to pay a lot more than we normally pay for a stove because it is a drop in. I dont
    understand why a stove with no sides costs more than the kind of stoves we normally get, stoves with sides and they are low end. But whatever, this is why I let him buy our stoves,
    I have no interest.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Rosa, 5 doors is a problem for sure.

DH is going to buy a stove this week. i let him buy our appliances since I don't much care about them except for our last diswasher which I researched heavily because its predecessor was so awful.

we are apparently going to have to pay a lot more than we normally pay for a stove because it is a drop in. I dont
    understand why a stove with no sides costs more than the kind of stoves we normally get, stoves with sides and they are low end. But whatever, this is why I let him buy our stoves,
    I have no interest.
    I was just telling someone yesterday that when we had to replace the stove in our kitchen it was much more expensive than a slide in or a free standing because it is a drop-in. I don't know why they would be so much more expensive either, and if I remember correctly it had to be ordered because they weren't kept in stock in the store where we purchased it.

Last week I had to replace the dishwasher. The 24 year old one finally died and it was my first major purchase to decide on my own since DH's passing almost 3 years ago. I decided on a Bosch dishwasher, mainly because they were offering free delivery and installation. Also, had a good decibel level, so should be much quieter than my old one. Waiting now for delivery and the plumber they use to work me into his schedule.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    I was just telling someone yesterday that when we had to replace the stove in our kitchen it was much more expensive than a slide in or a free standing because it is a drop-in. I don't know why they would be so much more expensive either, and if I remember correctly it had to be ordered because they weren't kept in stock in the store where we purchased it.

Last week I had to replace the dishwasher. The 24 year old one finally died and it was my first major purchase to decide on my own since DH's passing almost 3 years ago. I decided on a Bosch dishwasher, mainly because they were offering free delivery and installation. Also, had a good decibel level, so should be much quieter than my old one. Waiting now for delivery and the plumber they use to work me into his schedule.
    Your new dishwasher will likely be much quieter than your old one, so that is nice. But it will not last as long as your previous one.

I was wrong, we are getting a “slide in “stove. Slide in, drop in, range top, whatever, I just dont care enough about them to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Stainless or white? Our refrigerator is white. I thought about stainless steel finish because ...I dont know, is that still top of trend?
    Stainless is not "top of trend" anymore. It was a status finish back when people had to buy expensive "prosumer" brands of appliances to get it. Then it filtered down the upper-level brands of the big manufacturers. By the time you could buy a $300 dishwasher in stainless, "top of trend" was over and the people with money wanted something the hoi polloi could not buy. So now there's "black stainless" and "oil-rubbed bronze" and other attempts to capture lightning in a bottle.

Stainless has proven to be a safe neutral color choice, but it's important to shop carefully -- real stainless steel shows fingerprints. Cheaper stainless appliances may offer only stainless-steel-color fronts; often the side panels are black or just non-stainless. That's a non-issue in some installations; a real disappointment in others. White, I will note, has none of these problems.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Still pondering the cabinet issue and demo-ing the existing kitchen today. Going round and round with the "kitchen designer" who wants to sell us over-priced lazy Susan corner cabinets, etc. Her design included moving the sink so it is no longer centered under the window which would bother the heck out of me. Still thinking about ordering some flat-pack DIY in white but scared to pull the trigger since one doesn't really know what you're getting until it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Still pondering the cabinet issue and demo-ing the existing kitchen today. Going round and round with the "kitchen designer" who wants to sell us over-priced lazy Susan corner cabinets, etc. Her design included moving the sink so it is no longer centered under the window which would bother the heck out of me. Still thinking about ordering some flat-pack DIY in white but scared to pull the trigger since one doesn't really know what you're getting until it arrives.
    dH has installed several Ikea kitchens and he thinks the quality is decent. You will have to fuss a lot with getting them set up and installed. You need a professional or at least a practiced eye to do that. My friend had lovely custom cabinets built for her big kitchen, from measurements she made herself. She planned to have three guys from work come in and install them, giving them pizza a beer. She soon learned what that did to her cabinets and DH had to fix them.

But you and your husband may be able to do the work, it is possible, and you as retirees have the time to do things carefully, you dont have to be efficient with time.

dont move the sink, that is just silly. We do not have lazy susans in our corner cuboards and get along fine.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-8-18 at 7:09pm.

Thread Information