Thread: cooking meat issues

cooking meat issues

My son is a meat eater and really good cook, I am a vegetarian, and neither of us really likes cleaning the kitchen. So he cooks a fair amount of meat and in oil sometimes (like sausage). The issue is that the burners are often oily and smoke when I turn them on. He insists that my food is just as greasy and causing this problem. I don't agree. Tonight there was so much grease on the spill tray of one burner I finally moved to a different burner so I could scrub off all the oil.

Didn't there used to be metal burner covers to help with this? I saw something like it at Walmart but they were super ugly. Maybe some I could decorate myself.

And if anyone agrees that cooking sausage in oil may be messier than steam rainbow chard I would be happy with the validation!

There are times when I saute veggies that there is just as much dispersed grease as with meat: if I had the pan on high heat to saute onions or garlic, then add a liquid, there are droplets everywhere. So, it's possible, but I don't know how you cook.

Yes I remember burner covers, probably amazon will have them now. My issue is there are no trays under the gas burners now. I bought this over 5 years ago and questioned this lack there of issue. Oh those are not needed any longer was told. I have the same issue as you ZG, no meat for me, son cooks daily meats and so I am left with the residue of the grease that seems to accumulate everywhere. I am pickier than he is about what is cleaned.

One of those grease splatter guards that you put over the pan might help a bit. I recently picked one up at the dollar store and it made a difference.

Makes me wonder...

Does your stovetop have a vent to transport the smoke outdoors?

Have you and the other cook practiced what to do in case of a grease fire on top of the stove? I might suggest watching a video together with the other cook, and each cook doing a 30-second drill with Lid, with baking soda, and with a Class B (dry chemical) fire extinguisher.http://www.household-management-101....ease-fire.html

Does he have any cleaning duties in the kitchen? Sounds like he needs to step up and do his part.
    Pretty much every image I pulled up on google search of messy stove top had meat involved....not steamed chard.
    I'm assuming you have electric coil stove top in your apartment?
    Here are some basic cleaning steps. The biggest tip was clean immediately after the coils cool......in other words don't walk away and leave them for someone else. http://idreamofclean.net/how-to-clea...-coil-burners/
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Dollar or 99 Cent store or Big Lots for burner covers. If they are ugly, you could get a can of rustoleum high heat spray paint and make them any color you want.

I have the same issue, ZG! DH is a meat eater who thinks that anything worth eating has to be cooked in a skillet in a LOT of fat. My stove is always a mess. The grease is everywhere. I don't have an outside vent, just a fan under the microwave which filters some of it out, but not much.

If he were also vegetarian, there is no way our stovetop would ever look like that. Yes, I sautée veggies, but it's nothing like his splatter of bacon or burgers.

I love the ideas of buying burner covers and spraying them! I might try it myself! The other option I tried, but we haven't stuck to, are splatter guards--the mesh screen you put over the skillet to keep the splatter in the pan.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, I have the splatter guards also.....never remember to use them, ugg

Williamsmith
    If you mess up my stove - you better clean it. A little bit of tough love with the son will be the best splatter control you can have. Otherwise, use deep cast iron pans, utilize lid covers properly.....you slowly remove the lid catching as mush potential splatter before turning or messing with the meat......immediately wipe up mess with Dawn soaked sponge or rag, vinegar and baking soda. Make these things available so your son can’t excuse leaving things greasy. And lastly, be diligent in cleaning up after yourself and he will probably follow suit. If he doesn’t, well like I said I can think of a thousand ways to make your life miserable if you leave my kitchen a mess.

Thread Information