Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last painting of house

My favorite house painting was in California when we bought a house. I was able to paint it myself which was the best (after that I had a house with high ceilings and didn't paint common areas again). All the colors were nice but not so trendy they couldn't stay the same for 10 years. My favorite colors were
    * a peachy paint called skinned knee in the dining room, it was chosen to match the existing wallpaper until I could take down the wallpaper but the color was nice based on how much light the room got.
    * green tea for the small office that got a lot of light, it toned it down a little and made it a good place to work
    * white for the small living room and all the narrow hallways, I even did the 5 doors that were in the hallway white to make it look more open

Once I did a bedroom black and gold with a deep red trim. Very asian, my daughter loved it. And a major PAIN to cover up when I had to sell the house. So I do not recommend dark colors.

Let’s see, the first three houses we lived in for 6 years or less. The only thing we painted was the room we built in the unfinished basement of the third one.

this house was a gut renovation. I painted everything white. Not white with a name, the white base they use before they add tint.

When we built the porch into dd1’s bedroom 11 years ago, she painted it cream and two shades of blue. It has not been repainted.

When we put windows into two bedrooms after the kids started moving out, we repainted the original white base color. Same for the gut remodel on the upstairs bath.

when we gutted and redid the guest bathroom we tiled halfway up the walls and painted a soft green above them.

With the new addition dh insisted on white with a name.

the exterior we have repainted twice in 15 years. The first time we changed the color from yellow/brown/grey to evergreen/white.

All different I see! I finished with 9 gallons total of primer and paint and sore arms and tired back. But hey I did not fall off the ladder as I was painting with brush on yard stick to hit the high point! I am done now as long as I am here except for the accent walls or the kitchen sometimes. I just like change of color that is really why and I have it to an art of how and speed. I did get a sparkle toss in the paint gallon, gives a ever so slight sparkle to the walls and I love it! I even painted the heat grates with a bronze crackle paint, they looks brand new.

I know my neighbor just had her home professionally paint inside first in 22 years and the dilemma of color was so stressful for her......I was thinking heck I would just repaint if I did not like. Paying to have done is so different I understand.

Zoe Girl, the covering of dark colors, I hear you! I looked at all the paint sites and the ceilings are all colors. I thought Oh My in a few years when that is out of style think of the repainting!

Thread Information