Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Work has gotten very bad

Tradd

Keep documenting. You want to be prepared if they fire you and then try to get your unemployment benefits cancelled saying your lack of work (or whatever) made them delete your position (not you: your position) or why you quit (due to deteriorating health, whatever).

Work up to 6 months of expenses saved. Many people disagree with Dave Ramsey on the $1,000 emergency fund. It needs to be larger in the event of job loss or medical event. Your company may screw you on COBRA health insurance continuance. Yes, that's illegal but your company obviously doesn't have a moral compass.

I hope recent actions at your workplace mean they are becoming more understanding of your workload. I also fear they want to know more about exactly what you do in preparation for letting you go.

All US corporations, including the one you work for, just got a huge tax break. Your owners / managers saying they can't afford sufficient staff to get work done without overtime is pure greed. You owe them nothing. Focus on finding a new job.

Good luck!!!

Yppej
    I think Ramsey says that only if you are paying down debt. Once your debt is paid you can bump up your emergency fund. Suze Orman recommends 8 months.

Tradd

I suggest you read this thread on MrMoneyMoustache.com
    https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/we...money-stories/

"F U money" refers to having enough savings to say F U to your boss if the situation warrants.

Lots of tales like yours of competent, valuable employees being treated badly to the detriment of the employer. (Sounds familiar, eh?)

Some people employ some good strategies about managing up, documenting, and more.

And some of the funniest posts I have ever read in my life. It will raise your spirits. And it's long so the good feelings last for weeks.

This thread is my all time favourite of all forums.

Keep documenting. You want to be prepared if they fire you and then try to get your unemployment benefits cancelled saying your lack of work (or whatever) made them delete your position (not you: your position) or why you quit (due to deteriorating health, whatever).
    uh there are very few situations in which you can get unemployment if you quit and pretty much none you can get if you are fired (I have known people in a situation where employers call a firing a layoff so the employee can collect (because of a kind feeling after years of employment or etc.) but that is up to their discretion and not in their economic interest).

really the best thing Tradd could hope for is that things get better at least until she can get out, and it looks like they are which is good.

Work up to 6 months of expenses saved. Many people disagree with Dave Ramsey on the $1,000 emergency fund. It needs to be larger in the event of job loss or medical event. Your company may screw you on COBRA health insurance continuance. Yes, that's illegal but your company obviously doesn't have a moral compass.
    A lot of companies without a moral compass will obey the law though, serious consequences for not doing that in a way there aren't for just immoral or scumbaggy but legal things. But I guess anything is possible. COBRA actually is something you should be legally entitled to HOWEVER for many people either the ACA or an off-exchange plan is a better deal anyway.

FU money, ah that's kind of a myth, or it attaches WAY more importance to money than is warranted. It thinks money does things it simply doesn't do. Look you want to have savings so if the worst happens you will likely SURVIVE. Call it survival money. So yes money does pay bills, that is something money does. But that really isn't' everything you want to consider when walking out of a job for no work, there are A LOT of things equally important as money if you are going to walk away without even having another job, like how in demand your skills are in whatever marketplace you are looking etc... The ONLY time you don't need to give this consideration regardless of your stash is if it's enough to retire and never work again. And how would one know how in demand their skills are? Well looking at job ads helps some (but it's really not telling the whole story). Mostly by applying to jobs and interviewing is best as I can tell, with an awareness that this can change rather quickly over time.
    Trees don't grow on money

Well, I've been applying for a few jobs that looked like they would be a good fit. But for all of them I was told I had way too much experience and my brokers license wasn't desired for the position. I was told I should be management.

Everyone in the department is now being told they're working too slow. "You're better than this" is frequently heard. Everyone is getting customer complaints because of stuff undone or not done properly. We're all overloaded. One girl was told she'll get relief when the girl comes back from maternity leave at the end of the month.

Supposedly the new girl is supposed to take over a few of my simple, but high volume accounts, but she's been given a very high profile project that leaves her little time to even help with any of my files. I don't know how this long term high profile project is going to mesh with what she's supposed to take over from me. I suppose it would mean that work would be dumped back on my desk whenever the supervisor/management wanted new girl to do whatever.

Manager also has her priorities way out of wack. Customer asked a question late Friday afternoon about something non-critical on future shipments that weren't even planned yet. I was working on air freight shipments coming in over the weekend. I was told to drop those and work on the complicated question customer asked. Turns out I couldn't answer it since the information I needed was not readily available (I sent emails to get what I needed). Manager got pissed when I couldn't answer customer's question, even though it required talking to people on the eastern time zone who had already gone home for the weekend. I went back to my air freight.

Some days are better than others. I worked about 60 hours last week. OT good for fattening savings account.

At least overtime is getting paid, however often you are way less productive over 40 hours. I found one time I spent so much on convenience of food, dry cleaning things I normally washed, etc. that I didn't make much. That was when I had a baby so very little wiggle room.

More power to you on getting out there. I made my resume available to recruiters on linked-in and haven't had any contacts from that but still feel it is worth it.

I hope that this manager has kept up with supporting you at least a little Tradd. I heard some good stuff through a pretty reliable source that things are crap in the department. I know that from other sources but I have a little more detail. This person with the same position as me comes from a job in another area and is horrified by some of the unprofessional behavior. It is by a person I trained to be a trainer with last year and privately told someone that I did not want to do a training with her this year. She didn't even know the correct name of the training we were doing. The other person put my friend on an improvement plan after taking over mid-year and visiting her site one time. My friend just got off all improvement plans this month. Seems like that is happening again to a brand new person, they promoted him, changed all the programming at the site, and then are putting him on a plan.

Do you think some organizations just have a rotten core? I have seen over the years how hard we have worked on improving communication and building trust, yet the supervisor level is back to the worst behavior again and trust is at an all-time low. It seems our effort with committees and task forces and surveys of staff is not that impactful. Our supervisors just got our feedback, I know that many of our site staff chose the option to give feedback to my supervisor. This is a regular survey every year and I have never heard of so many site staff choosing to do extra feedback, and it wasn't positive from what they shared. It seems that there is something at that level that keeps dropping back to bad behavior over and over.

It’s tough to find good leaders. Most people aren’t ready for it when they are promoted although they are trying. Then there are the ones who love to be in charge and have no concept of servant leadership. They actually enjoy dictatorial power. It doesn’t help that our nation is built on aggressive, fiercely independent, hierarchical principles.

Leaders need to be “on” at all times. Always thinking of the mission of the organization instead of their personal desires. A leader can be doing ok for days and weeks, and then they make a selfish, public, and impulsive decision and it ruins the good culture of the organization and disillusions their followers.

It’s tough to find people who can lead consistently in a healthy way.

Things have been a bit better. They allowed me 4 hours of OT to stay on Tuesday so I could get caught up on the things that had piled up. It helped enormously. I've still got a lot on my desk but I'm much more organized as I was able to get rid of the stack of stuff. I've been able to leave at 5 the last 2 days. I was able to go swimming last night. I'd only been in the pool once a week the past 2 weeks. Manager and supervisor are leaving me alone, which is very nice. My stress level has gone down some. It helps that other things are stirred up that have nothing to do with me, and so manager and supervisor are having to spend a lot of time on that.

My savings account is getting nice and fat.

I actually do get a lot done after hours. No interruptions from the phone or other coworkers asking questions.

Ive forgotten to update this thread in a while. VP who was filling in as branch manager has been gone about 2.5 months. They brought in a guy from outside as a replacement. He’s a jerk. Nosy as hell. I can’t take a check to supervisor to sign for freight payments without him grabbing it out of my hands wanting details if he’s standing there.

I cancelled Amazon Prime. I’ll be going back to grocery shopping at Aldi when I had been getting my shopping delivered (see shingles thread). Called AT&T to cancel internet ($47 month). They offered me $30 a month which I took. Saving a bit.

Things were looking up for a while so I bought the dive gear I had wanted and had been saving up for. Had a ton of OT over the winter, but I’m buckling down again.

Will post more later. On lunch right now on my phone.

Thread Information