Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Work has gotten very bad

Nope, can't screen calls. The only time I can refuse to answer the phone is when I'm eating lunch at my desk.

Sold my rifle so that is now fattening my savings account. Should have a nice amount of OT in Friday's paycheck.

A couple of coworkers have asked why I'm so frugal, always bringing food from home, my own tea, etc. I simply tell them I'm saving for diving in the spring and summer. A coworker bought my rifle and asked in the open why I was selling. I simply told him I wanted a pricey bit of diving gear and since I wasn't using the rifle, selling made sense.

All of this is nothing anyone can question since my diving passion is well documented.

I was supposed to get a lot of help today from the new gal, but she went home sick after about an hour. So that whole stack of crap ended back up on my desk. I'm sorry she's sick, but I just can't get ahead. Then corporate has decided to dump the quoting they had been doing on us and I'm going to be losing several hours this afternoon in training for the quoting system. I was told I wasn't spending enough time explaining things to a major customer, and when I did, I got chastised for giving them too much detail.

I can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I was supposed to get a lot of help today from the new gal, but she went home sick after about an hour.
    Hmmm....wonder if she'll last. I mean this job does require work...that may be asking too much!

I'm so sorry. I know this is not a fun time for you.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Tradd, simply do your best keeping records of your efforts each day and should the question ever arise, you will have enough info to CYA.
    Affirm your worth to yourself each day. You are capable, knowledgeable and experienced. That is worth a lot.

Sometimes one cannot see the big-picture (forest) for the daily stressful close-ups (trees). There might be a lot more going on than you are, as yet, aware. On one occasion, the focus was on another worker but they used me to reduce apprehension by the one being monitored.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    No you can't win. Sounds like they may want to push you out for someone younger, or cheaper, or less likely to be a legal liability. (You did report the sexual harassment by a warehouse worker.) It might not hurt to start researching good employment attorneys in your area just in case.

They wouldn't get someone else that much cheaper. They have to have an individually licensed broker to qualify the local operating permit from Customs. We don't come cheap.

On the plus side, I had nearly $500 more than usual after taxes in today's paycheck. That went straight into savings. I have to logon to see my pay stub to check if that's just OT or includes the extra now I've stopped 401K contributions for the time being.

It's back to being cold again so it's no problem holing up at home. I work, swim, and have church on the weekend. The only $$ I've spent this week besides gas and groceries was $49 for my haircut last night. I want to try to go a bit longer between cuts this time, but I also need to look presentable for possible interviews. I'm not going to my church's annual dinner as I don't want to spend the $35. I'll have another dinner with friends that will be only about $10.

I've decided to hold off on cancelling the AT&T internet for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Tradd, simply do your best keeping records of your efforts each day and should the question ever arise, you will have enough info to CYA.
    Affirm your worth to yourself each day. You are capable, knowledgeable and experienced. That is worth a lot.

Sometimes one cannot see the big-picture (forest) for the daily stressful close-ups (trees). There might be a lot more going on than you are, as yet, aware. On one occasion, the focus was on another worker but they used me to reduce apprehension by the one being monitored.
    I get so caught up in trying to get stuff done that I keep forgetting to keep track of the phone calls and such. But the 2 hours in training is something I'll make note of. I was told I'm the only one with OT, so surely there's something wrong with me, was implied.

It is hard to remember while I'm being piled on, that I am smart, experienced, and capable.

If they go rid of me, they would certainly be hurting in the short term, since I do so much that no one else in my office knows how to do.

Do you update your job description whenever something new is added to your duties?
    I'm only part-time but I do that because I'm limited in the number of hours I can work a week...25. Every time someone asks me to take on something new, I add it to my job description and pull that out on my yearly review. It's what bumped me from 20 to 25 hours and also gave proof for several good raises or adjustments to how my vacation and sick time are accrued.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Really good point to put into action now, Float On. Really good!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information