Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Work has gotten very bad

I agree with razz and it sounds like you have some support. I learned so much in difficult work situations the hard way, by going it alone. And left a job i may have been able to work out with a lot of problems that were created by leaving. You seem to have your head about you though

Thanks, Zoe!

On the photo issue: I also have Google Photos on my phone and photos do automatically backup to that, even on cellular data. I can also upload photos to iCloud photo sharing (aka an online album) straight from phone, so I do have other workarounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    probably a little late but I would keep a short and simple log of calls that have nothing to do with the list of work in your cart. Present it to management. I bet every company is in this fix right now.

I think you are wise to think ahead. My husband always says "good luck is the intersection of preparedness and opportunity".
    The calls I get DO have to do with the work in my cart, but they take up so much time. Going to see how keeping a log tomorrow goes.

I should have made it clear there are three management types involved.

1. Immediate supervisor. In position a year, her first supervisory position. I've worked with her for 6 years.

2. Immediate manager. I've worked with her for 7-8 years. She's been a manager before at previous jobs. In this position perhaps 2 years.

3. General Manager. Came over from corporate, she's actually a VP of some sort, used to have HR under her. Has industry experience, but it's been a long time since she was in an operations position. She is VERY "corporate" and has changed the office culture for the worse. She's the originator of all the "Stepford" office stuff I've posted about before.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    How frequently do you do this? What about taking it to the library every week or two and using the free internet there?
    When I've taken pictures and get home, and iPhone is on wifi, it automatically uploads photos to iCloud. They're then synced with MacBook via iCloud.

Something that makes me feel better: I've got enough in savings with the two things I've sold to cover one month of bare bones expenses, minus U-verse and cc payment.

That makes a lot of sense (management types). In my difficult work situation the director changed, lots of proving herself and the effect on all of us. My direct supervisor is someone I have known a year and I think is very much affected by keeping the supervisors happy. I have no skills in managing up, I know I am supposed to learn but it is so against my nature. I think you may have that similar issue, plus the simple facts of too much to do with too little resources (time and reality). I am just curious who makes these things work out? I know one of my colleagues just put in notice, just stress and workload and everyone is fully aware.

This is happening in so many industries and areas, the workload increases and difficult managers.

I was talking to several friends after church today and one made a comment, asking what has changed with the economy to make my sorts of situations common again? This went on during the recession, but seemed to have gone away for a while. Friend that made that comment, her husband is going through the same thing, too much work, supervisors not allowing sufficient time for tasks to be done. Other people said they're hearing the same thing from many they know.

I just wonder why, what are the factors, how did this happen. I already went through the recession, and other times when we all had to deal with older generations telling us we could just work harder and get what they had. The economy changed however, and it was not very likely to have the same life. Now the millennials are being told the same thing. I lost everything in the recession, and now I am again working at high stress and work hours.

I just want a life, and the more I look at different jobs and possible careers I am not so certain what changes I could make to actually effect a significant change.

Yppej
    Tradd can you screen your calls?

When I was in a toxic job I looked but it was hard to interview while working. But I refused to quit because I had been there 15 years and knew if they pushed me out - as they eventually did to please the golden girl who was letting the boss sexually harass her and trying to dump all her work on me so she could spend her workdays on social media - I would be able to collect unemployment. Besides the unemployment I was able to get state subsidized health care rather than going the COBRA route, and with the stress gone I interviewed much better.

Thread Information