Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't get the office job/promotion......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Didn't get the office job/promotion......

Not a big deal but I thought I'd post that I didn't get the office job I interviewed for that would have been a promotion. Honestly, when I found out that I didn't get the job my very first reaction was a deep feeling of.....relief. Now I don't have to bluff my way around an office environment (it's been awhile since I've had to) and I don't have to mess with getting a late model car and deal with the cash outflows that would entail......

I don't have to think in terms of image 24/7 and I can be more me and more real (though of course not at the level I am here). I am content with my current checks and given that I am afraid to grow old in the United States, should I make it to elderly status, I don't have to amass as much as those staying here need to.

So all in all, I gave it my best shot and I'm actually satisfied with the outcome. I retain the same status in the Family Book in Vienna and I'm (mostly) good with most of my neighbors in the 85006. And I'm certainly challenged in my current position - there's often last minute crises (plural of crisis?) that I am adept at handling and making go away. So it's all good. Rob

Wonderful, Rob! Good for you for giving it a go, and getting to realize on a deep level that it wasn't right for you. I see that as a blessing in your life. Enjoy.

Rob, it sounds like you are in a great place.

Glad you're relieved--the experience probably clarified some questions in your own mind about what you want from life at this point.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Kudos for giving it your best shot, Rob. I recall that your current role is fairly new to you and that you've been enjoying it, so maybe it's a good place for you to be just now.

Even allowing for the sour grapes factor you must have worked in some dreadful offices.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Even allowing for the sour grapes factor you must have worked in some dreadful offices.
    Hasn't everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Hasn't everybody?
    I have worked for pay in fast food, production lines, laboratories, offices, classrooms and the occasional utility van. While you will indeed encounter sycophancy, status anxiety and treachery among “suits” (or “business casuals”, as the case may be) I’m not convinced it’s any worse than elsewhere. In my experience, the worst arena in that respect was higher education. I’m not sure why. Maybe I was just exposed to a bad batch.

Office politics wore me down; I usually worked off shift for that reason.

In my experience, it’s the people who claim they’re above politics that you have to watch the most.

Thread Information