Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Work has gotten very bad

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Do you update your job description whenever something new is added to your duties?
    I'm only part-time but I do that because I'm limited in the number of hours I can work a week...25. Every time someone asks me to take on something new, I add it to my job description and pull that out on my yearly review. It's what bumped me from 20 to 25 hours and also gave proof for several good raises or adjustments to how my vacation and sick time are accrued.
    Great advice.

Communication has really suffered in the work place these days.

No you can't win. Sounds like they may want to push you out for someone younger, or cheaper, or less likely to be a legal liability. (You did report the sexual harassment by a warehouse worker.) It might not hurt to start researching good employment attorneys in your area just in case.
    and what exactly does anyone expect to get from an employment attorney. It is at-will employment or isn't it in your state? Unless you can make a case for age or sex discrimination you don't have one as a company can get rid of you for any reason or none. CYA only works if there is someone with power at the company on your side (mangers manager etc.?) then you can take your case to them maybe. If you have friends in high places, who like your work etc., it may help you. Otherwise "but you said to do" and "but I told you so" stands a chance of just making the people with power more angry at you. I documented stuff and there was times I had an air tight argument on my side, so they dropped it for then, but eventually I made an actual mistake, and so all it did was buy me time. I didn't have a single negative except missing one meeting (due to time pressures) on my record, and I had several compliments of my work on it when I was let go. I almost wish I had a record, at least I would have had some idea what it is I should improve, as it was everything I did no matter what I did just seemed to be wrong. What probably did not help me is I was new at the company (first year), so they might have followed more of a procedure with someone who had been there years and years (afterall with a new employee you can just say they suck but with one who had been there a decade it would be more: and why did they just start sucking now after a decade we've kept them on?) but that is all up to the company, some companies do and I guess some don't.
    Trees don't grow on money

My state is at will.

The gal in export (she's been here a while) quietly came up to me today when we were the only ones on the floor. She said she's overwhelmed, too. She had asked for help, but was told to wait for when the coworker on maternity leave comes back in a month! She said she was told by manager and supervisor to let them know when she got buried. She did and this was the response she got.

I came in this morning and was pulled into manager's office right away. I was told she was there until 9 pm last night, going through all my files. She's actually helping me some today. Shocked the heck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    My state is at will.
    I came in this morning and was pulled into manager's office right away. I was told she was there until 9 pm last night, going through all my files. She's actually helping me some today. Shocked the heck out of me.
    That is good to hear. She has perhaps realized that you can only be stretch so far by looking at how much you are doing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    and what exactly does anyone expect to get from an employment attorney. It is at-will employment or isn't it in your state? Unless you can make a case for age or sex discrimination.
    If there is a pattern of letting people in your class go you may have a case.

An attorney can also review any package they offer you such as release of claims including of discrimination against the company. If you have been there awhile and they push you put you should not be going away emptyhanded.

But it sounds like they are starting to understand the volume of your work and things may turn around.

I had two customs clearances today that alone took me 1:15. One was a complicated EPA entry requiring many hand calculations of the amount of the active ingredient in a pesticide for a multiple line entry and entry of everything. This info has to be entered in the software as it is no longer done via emailing of documents. The other was a shipment of 8 containers with 14 multiple line commercial invoices, each line requiring hand calculation of the total pieces on each line.

I showed manager how long it took me for each one and the stack of documents for each. She is finally realizing how much more involved and complicated the entries I do are, compared with the supervisor's entries.

Tradd, It sounds as if you are doing all you can to educate her and that she may be willing to learn. Of course that might not change your situation at all, but it seems better than when they don't care or hear you.

Good, sounds like maybe a shift. I hope so.

So do I!

Things have been better the past few days. There have been a number of people out sick, so getting help and getting caught up is not happening much. I'm barely staying ahead of the game. Today was so crazy that everyone left by 5:15!

Thread Information