Thread: Recumbant bike?

Recumbant bike?

Anyone have/used one? Thinking of getting one, as they seem more comfortable to use. We are right next to paved nature trails so could go right into several towns without any traffic until we get there. I am wondering about how easy to transport stuff on one too, like a couple bags of groceries.

I have not used one. I see them often on the trail I ride, never on a road. From casual to racing styles on the long trail in OH I use sometimes. These bikes are beyond hard to see even on a trail. I and my fellow trail people make comments on them often, If not properly equipped with flags and lights. Built low so that is why. I have a trail friend that transports her recumbent bike and then rides with her two dogs for the day. I would think they would transport groceries well too.

I had a semi-recumbent. Although it was comfortable, it was just a phase I went thru. I prefer a rigid mountain bike because I can ride over and thru almost anything. On a recumbent I would feel like a sitting duck. You can't be seen well. You can't wheelie or bunny hop or any aggressive evasive move. If you get it, be careful. Also make sure it is geared for the hills you will be riding on.

Recumbent seem to require more storage space than a regular bike. I have been told that recumbents enable people who can no longer ride a regular bike to still enjoy being on the trails.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I often see recumbents on surfaced trails. I have ridden stationary recumbent bikes back in the day when I belonged to a gym that had them for equipment. I believe they are claimed to be easier on the lower back than an upright bike.

I have talked to folks who have them when I've been out on my regular bike. One lady had a really nice looking one and said she got it because of aching back, neck and shoulders and now, and I recall the exact words, "nothing hurts". She had been doing 50 and 60 mile rides. Personally I don't see any advantage over a regular bike for a person without physical issues that limit their regular bike riding pleasures.

I have heard they were more comfortable. I second the motion that these need a lot more safety stuff (flags, lights, etc). I've also seen them hauling some kind of trailer, but then you talking parking space of a car.

Thread Information