Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
I dont even know why I am consulting you all, the group that simply makes fun of decor trends! Ha ha!

The spare house we are buying is a little house of horrors, one of the horrors being hideous finishes to the walls. They used some sort of papered wallboard in many places. DH thinks it is glued directly to original plaster. Living rooms walls are painted—something. Paneling I suppose.

so since I do not have another 30 years on earth to renovate another house (the timeline for our current house), I wonder about throwing up shiplap on the walls. shiplap is the new darling in home decor. The look of it goes along with our cottage style house.

or, is shiplap just the new era cheap paneling, remember that stuff from the 70’s? Also, our spare house has an entire room of that 70’s stuff, the room they converted from a garage. It sits there as a cautionary reminder about cheap construction solutions.

Papered wallboard? Are saying there was probably some unsized wallpaper that they painted over as it was too hard to remove, or is it just sheetrock? Your going to have the same issue with shiplap, that you would if you bought 1/4" sheetrock (an actual thing I have used), and overlayed the walls. Your going to have to move your outlets and all electrical/plumbing, etc. further out.
There is a downside to shiplap that I can think of. If used, how will you know it does't have termites?