Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another decor question: shiplap

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The guy who did the house inspection told me that he was going write up the colors, particularly the magenta, as a safety hazard.
    so funny!

One of the most memorable--and prettiest--formal dining rooms I've ever seen (in a turn of the century house in West Seattle) was painted magenta. It didn't hurt that it was a favorite color of mine...

ETA: I'm in agreement that shiplap looks best with beachy or cottagey architecture, but it really shines there. I love houses that resemble vacation retreats, so I'm all in favor. I'm sorry that it's become trendy.

Insufferable decor commentary in magazines and blogs makes me want to punch someone, while readers run out to buy gray paint, faux taxidermy, and Moorish lattice rugs. Like a pack of lemmings.

Is "ship lap" the same thing as "knotty pine"? I do see ship lap is generally painted white or gray,and knotty pine was/is mostly that ghastly (to me) yellowed stain, but is it essentially the same material, i.e. pine boards used on the wall as paneling?

I'm a little jealous that some of you have the option of using real wood on your walls. In California, real wood is prohibitively expensive, if you could get it at all. Walls are engineered products, drywall, i.e. sheetrock, plastered and painted, or engineered panels of composite materials. Almost all new construction is done with metal 2x4s, etc.

Down in Central TX where the Fixer-Uppers live, ship-lap normally refers to a solid wood exterior siding and each piece has a groove that laps over the other. Interior pine horizontal boards which she also calls shiplap were used on old houses in place of sheetrock. In the old TX houses we renovated, the old pine boards were covered with muslin and then wallpaper. Ms Gaines seems to be calling any flat wood horizontal panels by that name. You can get all types of faux "ship-lap" to cover sins - made of some sort of engineered material. Or you can use real wood if affordable. We actually used some of the engineered stuff as wainscot paneling on the bottom half of a stairwell to cover ugly sheetrock. I think it would be very appropriate in a cottage style house but no doubt like paneling will be dated when we older folk are six feet under or wherever it is that we go.

This has been a very useful discussion, and I tha k everyne who chimed in. It did help center my thoughts on shiplap.

When Float-on spoke of it as horizontal paneling, that was the death knoll me. And then Tybee and pinkytoe talked about its origins in cheap houses. So, nope, wont be using it.

But shiplap can be very cute in the right place.

IL, I never said it originated in cheap houses--I said it was found in Cracker houses, which is a lovely form of Northern Florida southern Georgia architecture, elegant and simple and acclimated for a hot climate. I like shiplap!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    IL, I never said it originated in cheap houses--I said it was found in Cracker houses, which is a lovely form of Northern Florida southern Georgia architecture, elegant and simple and acclimated for a hot climate. I like shiplap!
    Sorry! I had assumed Cracker houses were, well, not something to emulate. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sorry! I had assumed Cracker houses were, well, not something to emulate. I stand corrected.
    Check it out:
    https://www.pinterest.com/dcgiles/fl...cracker-house/

I think you would like them very much; here's a nice example:

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    I like shiplap but didn’t know what it was called before watching ‘Fixer Upper‘. The word shiplap to me referred to the edges of green water resistant 4x8 sheets of insulation. I’m rooting for paneling and wallpaper to become en vogue again. Why not? Tastes vary. <iris lilies>, go with what you like regardless of trends or what others prefer.
    I like wallpaper, and I don't mind panelling either. What I dislike is the almost-cardboard-weight panelling our house had. (I think had. There might still be a bit lurking here and there...)

I like it very much and it could be painted when you want another color.

Thread Information